First sub 30 degree night...anxious...

Fred's Hens :

They will be fine. Winter is going to be even worse and nothing can stop winter from coming. They will huddle up and be just fine. Really.
smile.png

x2​

We have been down to 20 here lately and my flock has done well! I use a heated dog bowl for water(I put large rocks in it to prevent young ones from getting wet) My 5 adult silkies huddle together in the hay. My 2 fully feathered 2 month old silkies huddle together in a pen which has 4 inches of shavings (I also cover the pen at night & it is nestled in-between the hay bales). My bared rock hen roosts on top of the hay bales and my EE roost on the rafters of the 30x40 pole barn that has become my chicken coop. I have had chickens for years in the pole barn and have never lost one to cold! We get down in the 30 -40 below range here. Hope that encourages you!

Quote:
No, they have 2, and I took one inside that I will take out with warm water in the morning when I let them out of the coop. However, I saw plans somewhere here on BYC for placing a light bulb inside of a cinderblock (which their waterer is already sitting on) with a cinder block step stone on top. Apparently, the light bulb inside one of the block holes is enough to warm the stone and keep the water from freezing. Probably do that sometime in the next week...

That reminds me, I need to go out and get mine while they are cooped up. Gives me a chance to check on them and bring their waterer in so it wont freeze. Thanks Jeff.

It really depends on the breed and hardiness. For me I have to provide heat to my adult birds, most of them are seramas. A 250 watt bulb keeps it 50 degrees in the coop when its 28 outside. My bantam cochins on the other hand handle the winters quite well with just a heated water bowl. If your young ones are standard size birds I wouldn't worry too much, if it was gonna be -30 I would opt for a heat source.

Last edited:
Remember also that at the first cold snap, it rarely gets to within 10 degrees inside the coop as outside, especially if the coop is on the ground. The ground isn't nearly as cold as the air is, yet. That takes time. Further, the birds expel heat, the poop generates heat as well. Typically, the coop, on a night like tonight with your project 30 degrees, will maintain around 35-40. It's just how it goes.

Fred's Hens :

Remember also that at the first cold snap, it rarely gets to within 10 degrees inside the coop as outside, especially if the coop is on the ground. The ground isn't nearly as cold as the air is, yet. That takes time. Further, the birds expel heat, the poop generates heat as well. Typically, the coop, on a night like tonight with your project 30 degrees, will maintain around 35-40. It's just how it goes.

I feel better. Thanks.​

I had two broody raised chicks in the coop last week, without mama (she went to another home) - 6 weeks old and it was 19F outside. They were just fine- just slept in a nestbox.
smile.png
Now that's it's 'warm' at night and in the 30's they are roosting with the adults.
smile.png

I have already had a sub zero night...the only issue, my roo has a bit of frostbite on his huge comb...

68634_dsc_0042.jpg

(this shot is from a couple weeks ago)

He has 2 black areas now....not much to do about it...I guess I may try some vaseline....otherwise they are all great in the cold.

Well all of them came through it just great. Believe me, I was fighting the urge to turn a heat lamp on in the small coop for those young ones, but they did great. Whew....

Back
Top Bottom