First sub 30 degree night...anxious...

Jeffross1968

Songster
8 Years
May 14, 2011
Smoky Mountains
I don't mind telling you that I'm more than a little anxious about our first night in the 20's. Low is supposed to be around 25. This will be the coldest night since we started owning chickens. I guess I'm not too worried about the adults in their big coop. But, the 3 that were hatched on Sept 26th...

I have been weaning them off the heat lamp at night and this will be night 3 without it. First night was around 37, last night around 44...so this is their first outside night below freezing. From what I can tell, they have finished feathering out. I blocked off their access to the run for the night, because they have been stressing about the dark I think, and sleeping in the run where they can see the light inside the house. So, first night below freezing, first real night in the dark. I wonder if I'm more or less scared than they are, LOL!

So uh, how about a little reassurance from you long time chicken owners with experience...or, for the love of all that is holy, tell me if I'm doing the wrong thing
ep.gif

We will be getting down to 31 this evening and I am in the same boat. Not so worried about the girls as I am on how warm the coop will keep them. Using pine shavings I think will help in retaining the heat but anxious as you are on how they will fare. I expect to go out in the morning to let them out into the run and see all of them ready to go.

How are you doing their waterer? Heated?

I hear ya! It's going to be around 30 tonight and I'm also a little anxious. It seems so cold! I know - they're chickens, they'll be fine. Hopefully, I'll get past this or it's going to be a long winter!
hmm.png

Quote:
No, they have 2, and I took one inside that I will take out with warm water in the morning when I let them out of the coop. However, I saw plans somewhere here on BYC for placing a light bulb inside of a cinderblock (which their waterer is already sitting on) with a cinder block step stone on top. Apparently, the light bulb inside one of the block holes is enough to warm the stone and keep the water from freezing. Probably do that sometime in the next week...

Back
Top Bottom