Chickens are roosting at night in run

517heather

In the Brooder
Apr 23, 2023
West Michigan
I have a question that I couldn't quite find the answer to. I have 6 chickens - females, that I think are between 3 and 4 months (I can't remember exactly when we got the chicks) they're all seemingly healthy and happy. We moved them outside to their coop a few weeks ago as soon as the weather was warm enough and they adjusted beautifully. After a week we started letting them out to forage for a few hours every evening and they did great about going back in the coop and up into the enclosed area to be locked in for the night all by themselves which worked great because it still gets cold here at night (in the 40's tonight). Their coop is the type that has an elevated enclosed area with 2 low roosts and 3 nesting boxes and a ramp going down to a tall fenced run area with a few bars for roosting on. The problem: they started sleeping up high on the highest roost in the open area. The first night I put them all in the enclosed area myself, but the last few nights I've let them do what they want. I'm concerned they're not as warm and safe in the outer area. Not sure what's going on here and why they would choose to all be squished together in the cold air on one roosting bar. Their coop is clean and dry and they have food and water in both places. Thanks for any insight

Is the run roosting bar higher than the enclosed one? Chickens naturally roost as high as they can manage. You’re right that they’ll be safest in the enclosed coop. You might try taking down the roosts in the run for a few nights until they stick with their routine of getting inside. Or, corralling them into the run a bit earlier while they still have plenty of daylight to make their way into the enclosed area. They can hardly see at night so if they’re returning from the evening forage at dusk, they might not have the visibility to get inside the coop and roosting. Good luck!

Is the run roosting bar higher than the enclosed one? Chickens naturally roost as high as they can manage. You’re right that they’ll be safest in the enclosed coop. You might try taking down the roosts in the run for a few nights until they stick with their routine of getting inside. Or, corralling them into the run a bit earlier while they still have plenty of daylight to make their way into the enclosed area. They can hardly see at night so if they’re returning from the evening forage at dusk, they might not have the visibility to get inside the coop and roosting. Good luck!
Yes, the run roosting bar is at least 4' off the ground compared to the inside which is only a few inches. I have a feeling that it's the adventurous leghorn that started all this! Great idea to remove the outside roosts before they come in at night. They're usually ready to get to bed well before dark. Thanks!

Their coop is the type that has an elevated enclosed area with 2 low roosts and 3 nesting boxes
Would you post pics of your coop, inside and out, and give it's floor space dimensions?
Is the outside roost higher than the floor of the coop?
Is there good ventilation in the coop?
3-4 month olds would be fine in 40F's.

Oh, and... Welcome to BYC! @517heather
Where in this world are you located?
Climate, and time of year, is almost always a factor.
Please add your general geographical location to your profile.
It's easy to do, and then it's always there!
1686567732727.png

Would you post pics of your coop, inside and out, and give it's floor space dimensions?
Is the outside roost higher than the floor of the coop?
Is there good ventilation in the coop?
3-4 month olds would be fine in 40F's.

Oh, and... Welcome to BYC! @517heather
Where in this world are you located?
Climate, and time of year, is almost always a factor.
Please add your general geographical location to your profile.
It's easy to do, and then it's always there!
View attachment 3538549
Thank you for your reply! I'll update my info. We made the outdoor roost removable, and take it out at night. they are sleeping in the enclosed area again :)

Yes, the run roosting bar is at least 4' off the ground compared to the inside which is only a few inches. I have a feeling that it's the adventurous leghorn that started all this! Great idea to remove the outside roosts before they come in at night. They're usually ready to get to bed well before dark. Thanks!
Update: we made the outdoor roost removable, and take it out at night. They are going back up in their enclosed area again. Thanks!

Back
Top Bottom