First Time Broody - Progression Post

So, I became a first time chicken tender back in March of this year and one of my hens ( still technically a pullet. She’s 31 weeks old ) went broody 4-5 days ago. She was only sitting on a golf ball at first and hadn’t laid in those days, so when I was sure she was broody, I put 5 eggs under her but one disappeared yesterday and she only has 4 now ( what could’ve happened to it?). Nelly has been sitting on them for 3 days now and I was just wanting to make this post because I’m really excited about it despite her having bad timing.

I put tarps up to block the drafts from getting into the coop and her nesting box so the coop will stay warmer as colder weather approaches. I’d appreciate any advice for helping her through her first hatch with winter coming.They should be due around Nov. 21st and she’s currently still in a main coop with 19 other chickens.

View attachment 2397989View attachment 2397996
View attachment 2397997
She's beautiful!
As for the missing egg- it was likly broken and eaten all up by whomever. Putting her and her eggs in the brooder was a good move. Hopefully she didn't develop a taste for egg- you will know soon if she did. Once a hen starts eating eggs and likes the taste- she will teach the rest to eat them. Provide crushed shells for the chickens to keep up their calcium and hopefully leave the eggs alone.

She's beautiful!
As for the missing egg- it was likly broken and eaten all up by whomever. Putting her and her eggs in the brooder was a good move. Hopefully she didn't develop a taste for egg- you will know soon if she did. Once a hen starts eating eggs and likes the taste- she will teach the rest to eat them. Provide crushed shells for the chickens to keep up their calcium and hopefully leave the eggs alone.
it wasn't her, it was probably one of the other hens. after i moved her to the brooder, none of the eggs were cracked or went missing. i provide them with oyster shells already, so they shouldn't be eating the eggs anyways. though, i've been able to collect eggs since that incident without any problems. i think it was a one-off thing. i don't think the rest of her eggs are going to hatch now, though. my dad let them go cold for 5 hours while i was at work today because nelly got off the nest when her chick ( the only one that has hatched so far ) fell out. he didn't think to put the chick back in or move the eggs under her on the floor....

it wasn't her, it was probably one of the other hens. after i moved her to the brooder, none of the eggs were cracked or went missing. i provide them with oyster shells already, so they shouldn't be eating the eggs anyways. though, i've been able to collect eggs since that incident without any problems. i think it was a one-off thing. i don't think the rest of her eggs are going to hatch now, though. my dad let them go cold for 5 hours while i was at work today because nelly got off the nest when her chick ( the only one that has hatched so far ) fell out. he didn't think to put the chick back in or move the eggs under her on the floor....
Oh no- well I hope the eggs and chicks inside are still thriving. I would move everyone to the floor because the chick will keep bailing out of the nest to the floor. That way mom can sit and keep her chick under wing. I hope they hatch for you.

Oh no- well I hope the eggs and chicks inside are still thriving. I would move everyone to the floor because the chick will keep bailing out of the nest to the floor. That way mom can sit and keep her chick under wing. I hope they hatch for you.
yeah, that's what i ended up doing. i should've done it sooner but i didn't think the chick would start moving around that much yet and i did have the nest on the ground, but the walls on the container i had the bedding in was too tall and i didn't realize that until it was too late.

it would be really nice for her to have a buddy. when mom stops being a mom (I find usually by 6 -8 weeks) she is going to have no one. I would try and find her a couple of day old chick friends. Nellie should accept them if you sneak them in at night, under her and remove the eggs.

it would be really nice for her to have a buddy. when mom stops being a mom (I find usually by 6 -8 weeks) she is going to have no one. I would try and find her a couple of day old chick friends. Nellie should accept them if you sneak them in at night, under her and remove the eggs.
One of the other chicks survived the incident and hatched around 7:30ish last night. I don’t know if the remaining 3 made it, though. When I candled them the night it happened, I couldn’t see any movement. They’re in the incubator and we’re giving it a few days.

Attachments

• 29270C7D-0F81-42B3-B9D3-3065687EE419.jpeg
    29270C7D-0F81-42B3-B9D3-3065687EE419.jpeg
    336 KB · Views: 4
  • AED58026-EEE0-401A-82F8-98D1C8AB3116.jpeg
    AED58026-EEE0-401A-82F8-98D1C8AB3116.jpeg
    390.5 KB · Views: 4
  • EDF1B48B-E727-4163-A595-5C04AE01F1DD.jpeg
    EDF1B48B-E727-4163-A595-5C04AE01F1DD.jpeg
    608.2 KB · Views: 4
  • 0AA85A60-A0BD-4E93-ACBE-24A0D12E6117.jpeg
    0AA85A60-A0BD-4E93-ACBE-24A0D12E6117.jpeg