First time broody turkey, advice needed

Thanks @R2elk , really useful! In regards of the camera - I have one, but I am rarely using it these days as when there is snow I work from home and the coop is under my window, so I do actually observe that particular flock almost 24*7 :) and I know she did not leave the nest. And when I say 'walk' of course I mean food and drink.. they are free ranged.
I am here all the time, I rarely see a broody turkey hen off of the nest but I do find their broody poops even when I don't know where the nest is. It is really to miss if they aren't off the nest for very long. The proof that they have been off of the nest is the fact that they are still alive. They can go days without food but they cannot go days without water.

I was finally able to buy 20 fertile turkey eggs (could not find peafowl eggs and my peahen only laid 2 eggs so far this season). I put 10 eggs under the broody turkey this morning, she is a first time broody and I am not sure how well she will do. I was thinking what to do with the other 10 fertile turkey eggs which I bought - 1. Put them in the incubator or 2. Put them under a broody Leghorn (who is sitting on one of her own eggs for 4 days now), but eventually I decided to make another brand new nest, put the 10 turkey eggs there and put another turkey in the nest, hoping that she will see the eggs and somehow become broody. She jumped happily in the nest, covered herself with hey and is still there - been there for 2 hours now.

I was finally able to buy 20 fertile turkey eggs (could not find peafowl eggs and my peahen only laid 2 eggs so far this season). I put 10 eggs under the broody turkey this morning, she is a first time broody and I am not sure how well she will do. I was thinking what to do with the other 10 fertile turkey eggs which I bought - 1. Put them in the incubator or 2. Put them under a broody Leghorn (who is sitting on one of her own eggs for 4 days now), but eventually I decided to make another brand new nest, put the 10 turkey eggs there and put another turkey in the nest, hoping that she will see the eggs and somehow become broody. She jumped happily in the nest, covered herself with hey and is still there - been there for 2 hours now.
For future reference, the broody chicken would have been able to handle a few if you needed her too, but not all ten

now that i think about it are turkeys like chickens and lay eggs every 24 hoursish
No, turkeys are seasonal layers. If not allowed to keep their eggs, they may lay from spring to fall. How often a turkey hen lays depends on the individual hen and her age. Some may lay as often as once a day for 3 to 4 days in a row before taking a day off. Some lay every other day.

My second turkey which I encouraged to become broody is still in the nest, hasn't been out yet since I showed her those 10 eggs and she jumped with joy on them.
@JacinLarkwell I believe that. I tried it last summer - I had both chicken and turkey eggs under a broody chicken hen. Obviously I matched the hatch day, i.e. put the chicken eggs under the broody chicken hen later than the turkey eggs. They all hatched ok together BUT my broody chicken hen recognised turkey babies are different and she wanted to kill them. Thanks God I was there and saw her and I saved the turkey babies and raised them separately. So I am hesitant to put turkey eggs under a chicken hen. Though... my broody Leghorn is still without proper eggs under her, so if I find more turkey eggs may try. Would 5 turkey eggs under a Leghorn be ok?

Both my broody turkeys are still on the eggs - the one who decided to go broody herself and the other one which I encouraged to become broody (and she gladly accepted). Question - I give them food in the nests, but they won't eat... Is that normal?

Both my broody turkeys are still on the eggs - the one who decided to go broody herself and the other one which I encouraged to become broody (and she gladly accepted). Question - I give them food in the nests, but they won't eat... Is that normal?
Do not place food or water near the nests. It attracts unwanted visitors. They will get off of the nests once a day to eat, drink and poop.

Back
Top Bottom