First time broody

MerryMeridional

Songster
5 Years
Jan 17, 2019
My Welsh Harlequin went broody! So far she seems to be doing what needs to be done. I noticed her sitting on the 4th. I could just see blood vessels in some of them yesterday. I marked and left her with 12 eggs because I do not think they are all going to hatch and I'd like 2-4 new hens to join the flock, ideally.

So. I don't have a ton of space. I'm thinking that if she successfully hatches these ducklings, I will trade out her nest box for a jumbo plastic dog kennel with a wire door for momma and babies. During the day I will let the flock out into the run, close the coop door, and allow the momma and babies to have the whole coop. At night the momma duck and babies will be in the kennel.

How long should I do this for? Do the babies need access to food and water at night? I know when I brooded ducklings under a lamp I had to leave them food and water 24/7. Is it different when momma is involved? Any advice? I kept the last ducklings seperate from the flock for like 6 weeks which may have been too long, but the size difference concerned me. Will it be safe to do it quicker when momma is involved, or does it really depend on how "good" the momma duck is? This will be her first brood.

Oh and here is Margo

Attachments

• PXL_20210606_230158195.PORTRAIT.jpg
    PXL_20210606_230158195.PORTRAIT.jpg
    464 KB · Views: 2
We didn't get any viable hatches. She was a young duck and didn't get the urge to nest until summer was in full swing and we had terrible heat waves up to 119F. One made it to the end but died in the shell. We are hopeful that they will get the urge to brood in Spring when the weather is good.

Back
Top Bottom