Broody Pekin hatched babies!

PendingPenguin

In the Brooder
Jun 27, 2023
I have a flock of Pekins. Two of my ladies have made hidden nests in the barn and today my daughter runs to me and says there's babies! Well surprise surprise, my one Pekin momma has 3 little ducklings in her nest she hatched!! Now my question is, will she bring them to water and show them where to find food? I've experienced broody chickens but never a Pekin before and don't know if intervention is a good idea. Anyone else experience this?

A few weeks ago my momma duck hatched 3 babies...the first baby i found roaming around in the barn and momma still on nest just watching and quacking. next day same thing. I took custody of both. We have had a fox problem, so i think she felt safer on the nest? Then I wonder if the males may have been fighting around her and scared the babies out from underneath her. I have seen them act like idiots before. A couple of her eggs where bad and busted underneath her, so she got off. Then a few days later, I found a lil 1 that didnt make it. I intervened, felt I had 2.

I have a mama Muscovy with 2 ducklings and she has showed them both where food and water is. If you can keep them safe from predators by all means let mama raise them . I have to be on snake patrol when I let mine out since we are covered up in snakes. I am also the door person since I have to keep my coops closed because of snakes so when someone has to lay I have to open the door Put feed and water close by so mama can show them.
And don’t forget pictures we love pics

I have a mama Muscovy with 2 ducklings and she has showed them both where food and water is. If you can keep them safe from predators by all means let mama raise them . I have to be on snake patrol when I let mine out since we are covered up in snakes. I am also the door person since I have to keep my coops closed because of snakes so when someone has to lay I have to open the door Put feed and water close by so mama can show them.
And don’t forget pictures we love pics
20230626_162945.jpg

Three little Fluffybutts, plus 1 lightbulb mom put in there 😄
Mom is a mix, dad was pekin and mom was buff orpington.

Back
Top Bottom