First time Bumblefoot - need advice

Georgiahome622

Songster
6 Years
Jan 15, 2018
North Florida
Hi to the chicken doctors, bless you all for your guidance!

Today I found one of my hens with Bumblefoot. It was really swollen, large marble lump on the bottom, marble size lump on top. Black kernel on the bottom of her foot. I spend a lot of time with the girls so it can’t have been infected long, but boy oh boy.

I soaked her in Epsom salts and it was pretty easy to remove the scab. I soaked again for 10 minutes and began working on it. So. Much. Pus. And string-like junk. I cut it open just a bit, like 1/8 inch and shallow but no big kernel came out. It got so that it was mostly blood coming out (not pouring, just when I pressed on the sides). I was ready for a break and so was she.

I applied Vetericyn and neosporin and she is on a towel in a dog crate with scrambled egg and some electrolytes.

It is still very swollen, but I’m sure it’s mostly from working on it. I think I’m done for today. Tomorrow, should I soak and still try to find a kernel or is it possible it’s done?

She was so very good and patient. I want to help her heal quickly.

Thank you,
Georgia

Sounds like you got a lot out of there - so I would let it heal. There's no guarantee that you got it all, but further insulting the tissue if you don't have any further clear target to remove isn't worth it. i.e. if you still thought there was more and you could pinpoint it- maybe.

But personally I would do what you already did with vetricyn and neosporin - I live in the "wrap the foot" camp - others will say leave it open, ultimately it's up to you. When I wrap a foot it's after it's been soaked, disinfected and packed with antibiotic ointment. I use a "no-stick" pad on the open area of the wound. I cut strips of Vetwrap/coflex (takes sharp scissors) that will make it thin enough that you can wrap just the pad of the foot, i.e. the strips can fit in between the toes. It is a PIA for sure.

I bet she feels better!

Sounds like you got a lot out of there - so I would let it heal. There's no guarantee that you got it all, but further insulting the tissue if you don't have any further clear target to remove isn't worth it. i.e. if you still thought there was more and you could pinpoint it- maybe.

But personally I would do what you already did with vetricyn and neosporin - I live in the "wrap the foot" camp - others will say leave it open, ultimately it's up to you. When I wrap a foot it's after it's been soaked, disinfected and packed with antibiotic ointment. I use a "no-stick" pad on the open area of the wound. I cut strips of Vetwrap/coflex (takes sharp scissors) that will make it thin enough that you can wrap just the pad of the foot, i.e. the strips can fit in between the toes. It is a PIA for sure.

I bet she feels better!
Thanks. I just checked on her and she had eaten and pooped and was standing in the poop with the bad foot 🤦🏼‍♀️

* headed to tractor supply for bandages.

Thanks. I just checked on her and she had eaten and pooped and was standing in the poop with the bad foot 🤦🏼‍♀️

* headed to tractor supply for bandages.

LOL isn't that always the way. It doesn't matter how big the crate is or any other variety of factors, they will always find a way to step in their own poo.

Prep work:

2 strips around 1" wide, 2" long (without stretching it)
Then I cut about 6 strips to around 1/2" wide, about 6" long (without stretching it).
The no-stick bandage material, (i.e. like the white part of the band-aid) is cut so it's the size of her pad, so I cut an approximate circle.
Clean towel dry towel to stand on post-cleaning, for bandaging process.

The key is not too tight because you don't want to cut off circulation.
The first 2" long vetwrap strip goes around just her leg at the lowest point, not around any part of her foot. It serves as the anchor for the smaller strips to attach to.

Then get the circular pad in place (having packed the wound with neosporin). I start the first 1/2" strip under the foot by pressing the end onto the 'anchor'. Then it's a matter of weaving it in between her toes so the circular pad is held onto the foot. Then repeat with the remaining 1/2" strips. None of the strips go around the actual toes, just in between the toes so you're only wrapping up the pad.

And if you need the last 1" strip for a last wrap around the anchor wrap, then add it- if not and it seems secure- leave it off. =)

Back
Top Bottom