First time chick mum!

Jessperowne

Chirping
5 Years
Apr 25, 2019
Hello, I have 3 babies about 24 hrs old.

I have two questions please,

1) I have a brooder heater and I have no idea what height setting it should be on? It feels very hot to the touch in the middle, I’m worried if the chicks stayed under the middle section for any length of time, with it on its lowest setting, it would burn them. The edges of the brooder heater are obviously much cooler, will they naturally go to spot that’s best for them or could I end up with accidental KFC?!

2) They haven’t eaten or drunk. They just stay under the brooder. I’ve tried showing them the food but they aren’t interested. Should I be doing something?!

I had the same issue with a brooder heater being too hot and the babies did end up with bald spots and even burns on their backs after a week or so, so it is important to keep it at the right height. This means keeping it just above the level of their backs when they are standing up.

With newborn chicks this is not as important because in the first day or two they spend the majority of time lying down so will not be pressing their backs to the heater plate as much. They also like to be slightly hotter in the first few days.

If you can, crouch/kneel down and look horizontally at the heater to check how tall it is compared to the chicks. It should be just a tad taller than they are. This means raising it higher as the weeks go by. I raise mine a few notches every week.

If you're worried observe the chicks under it for a little while because if the temperature is right, they will be sleeping peacefully. If they are too hot they will be panting, but this is unlikely with a heat plate because they have the option of moving out form under it. If they are too cold they will be huddled together and complaining by cheeping. If they are quiet under there, chances are they are fine.

It is normal for chicks to not touch food or water for 2 to 3 days after hatch because they have absorbed the egg yolk that provides initial nourishment. I usually leave them to sleep until the second day and then lightly dip the tip of their beaks into the water to show them how to drink. By day three you can 'show' them the food container by pecking at the crumbles with your finger to encourage them. They will get the hang of it.

Back
Top Bottom