First Time Chick Parents, Spring 2016

Discussion in 'Raising Baby Chicks' started by feetkissearth, Feb 18, 2016.

1. City farm

City farm Overrun With Chickens

Jul 6, 2012
    Mesa, Arizona U.S.A.

Oh have you posted on the AZ thread??
    I know there are a few chicken owners in Payson.. It is beautiful there.. We are planning a trip there in May/June...

2. City farm

City farm Overrun With Chickens

Jul 6, 2012
    Mesa, Arizona U.S.A.

Here is the thread.. And our broody raising the cuties..
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

https://www.backyardchickens.com/t/31227/arizona-chickens

Last edited: Mar 11, 2016
  3. Pattycat

Pattycat Out Of The Brooder

Jul 22, 2015
    Overgaard, AZ
    Yes, I have. It was when I joined almost a year ago. I have moved to Overgaard since. I love it here. We didn't have any problems with our girls taking to the new environment. Even that trip from Queen Creek to Overgaard wasn't hard on them. They are so resilient. I suggest that anyone who comes up spend at least a week, as it is so worth it. My husband and I had been talking about retiring here for years. He had the chance to stop working because of his war experiences and we were able to move up here with our six kids. Since, I have found that I am addicted to chickens!

4. Jensownzoo

Jensownzoo Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 7, 2016
    Saint Louis, MO
    1 person likes this.
  5. ctofsrud

ctofsrud Out Of The Brooder

May 14, 2015
    Colorado
    Hi! I hope I am allowed to post on this thread. I am not hatching my chicks, I purchased mine as new chicks, but am raising them in a brooder but this is my first time raising my own chicks since we had them when I was a kid! I have two Rhode Island and one that I cannot remember for the life of me what she is!

[​IMG]

6. Blooie

Blooie Team Spina Bifida Premium Member

Feb 25, 2014
    Northwestern Wyoming
    My Coop
    This is the one I use: http://www.amazon.com/Sunbeam-2013-...kmr1&keywords=Sunbeam+x-tra+large+heating+pad

For 8 chicks you could check Walmart or Walgreens - they usually have the same heating pad but in a smaller size. Just make sure it says on the box that you can select the "Stay on" feature, otherwise it will shut itself off after about 2 hours and who wants to keep turning it back on day after day?

1 person likes this.
  7. vanesa

vanesa New Egg

Mar 6, 2016
    I got my littles on Thursday! We have 3 Silver Laced Wyandottes, 3 Easter Eggers, 2 Buff Orphingtons and 1 random, because she/he was cute. It's the one with the marking on its head. We have decided to do the light during the day and the MHP at night. It's been working great! Very excited to be raising chickens on my own, after having them as a kid.

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]

8. Blooie

Blooie Team Spina Bifida Premium Member

Feb 25, 2014
    Northwestern Wyoming
    My Coop
    I'm so happy to hear that you are using MHP and that it's working well for you! The heat lamp really isn't necessary during the day....think about it this way - if they were under a broody hen, they wouldn't stay under her and warm all the time. They need periods of cooling off with the ability to dash back under her for a quick warmup. The only warm place in their environment is right under her. Same with Mama Heating Pad....they use it exactly as they would use a broody hen.

Cute chicks!!!

9. Jensownzoo

Jensownzoo Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 7, 2016
    Saint Louis, MO
    The marking on random chick kinda looks like sharpie? If so, is probably a roo since hatcheries will mark thrm for stores (usually).

10. vanesa

vanesa New Egg

Mar 6, 2016
    I've turned the light off during the day just to see what they would do and they huddled together in a corner. With the light on, they're running around and doing their thing. Will they learn on their own to use the MHP when they are cold during the day?

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by