First Time Chick Parents, Spring 2016

Discussion in 'Raising Baby Chicks' started by feetkissearth, Feb 18, 2016.

1. Mitch Mullenax

Mitch Mullenax Out Of The Brooder

Feb 15, 2016

Read through some of breed threads. I thought I was set one breed until I read the tread of another. Plus as a newbie myself, I have learned tons.

2. Jensownzoo

Jensownzoo Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 7, 2016
    Saint Louis, MO

Chicks will produce a loose very stinky poop several times a day normally...these are called "cecal poops" because they come from the paired ceca (bacterial fermentation happens in them). So, if your chicks are having normal poops interspersed with these diarrhea-like poops, it may be normal.

Stress of any kind can throw their digestive systems out of whack. So make sure that the temperature isn't too hot/cold, that they are not handled excessively, etc. and so forth. A healthy population of good bacteria in their gut can help them weather stresses and unfamiliar foods. Adding a probiotic to their water can provide these bacteria.

If you are noticing blood in the poops, it is worth treating with amprolium for coccidiosis. They build up natural immunity to this parasite as they mature, but occasionally will need some help with overgrowths when they are young as their immune systems are still developing.

3. realsis

realsis Crazy for Silkies

Jan 17, 2013
    California
    Hi all.I'm not a first time chick parent but out of having chickens for around 5 years this is my FIRST time ordering from a hatchery. I'm soo excited and nervous ! I placed my spring order in January and picked April 11th as my hatch/ship date thinking it would be warmer. I had NO IDEA HOW HARD IT WAS TO WAIT THIS LONG!!BUT I DO finally have some news! your probably going to laugh at me but after waiting soooo long this IS big news to me! Next Monday my 9 little eggs go into the hatcheries incubator!! Yea!!!:) I'm so excited! when they ship please Pray they arrive from there long journey alive and well! my order is very small only 9 chicks. I'm expecting 7 Female Barred Rocks, 1 "suprise breed" production layer Female, and 1 Female Golden Cuckoo Maran. I can hardly wait to meet them! I just wanted to share with you all that finally after such a loooong wait soon they will be incubating!!! yea!!! :) ♡♡♡

1 person likes this.
  4. lizbeth120

lizbeth120 Out Of The Brooder

Mar 10, 2016
    Boonsboro, MD
    My babies (2 RIR, 2 barred rock, 1 golden comet) are sleeping happily while I attempt to get some work done. I think I'm singlehandedly responsible for an overall drop in productivity today [​IMG]

[​IMG]

5. emilyc03

emilyc03 New Egg

Mar 7, 2016
    Monterey CA
    Hi, I'm a first time chicken owner as well! After I move, I'm planning to get around 6 day old chicks. It'll probably be in April or May, but I'm looking forward to it! Hoping that I can get some Orphingtons or Rhode Island Reds. Maybe Barred Rocks? I honestly have no idea yet.

6. vanesa

vanesa New Egg

Mar 6, 2016
    thank you!!!

Does anyone have tips on how to reduce the waste of feed? We tried the paper towel, which made it more evident as to how much food they are wasting.

7. Jensownzoo

Feb 7, 2016
    Saint Louis, MO

Consider fermenting the feed. You can do a search to find the thread, but it's really easy to do. They not only don't waste much, you get to use the crumbles that have turned into powder instead of throwing them away. I have gone through a LOT less feed since starting this.

8. Jensownzoo

Feb 7, 2016
    Saint Louis, MO
    I went in to Bucheit's to buy some fencing so I could move the big 8 week old chicks outside to a dog kennel until I get the coop done. Wouldn't you know they had some breeds of chicks that I either have on order for May or that MPC has sold out of for my ship date. So, came home with 2 Sicilian buttercup bantams, 3 light brahmas, and 1 white-faced Spanish bantam. They're happily in the brooder with the ones I picked up this weekend.

A bit unfortunately, one of my bantam buff cochins had a swollen hock joint yesterday and today it's ulcerated. Cleaned it up, applied neosporin, and covered it with a bandaid for padding. We will see how this goes...not looking good right now.

9. debbobbytla2010

debbobbytla2010 Out Of The Brooder

Mar 11, 2016
    Shilglehouse,PA
    ok thank you

10. debbobbytla2010

debbobbytla2010 Out Of The Brooder

Mar 11, 2016
    Shilglehouse,PA
    I'm pretty sure it's normal.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by