First Time Chick Parents, Spring 2016

Discussion in 'Raising Baby Chicks' started by feetkissearth, Feb 18, 2016.

1. kgb6days

kgb6days Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 6, 2016
    I had the same question and did a search on this forum - I found a lot of good ideas. Also search YouTube - there are some good examples that tackle this problem on there. I found the links actually from a post on here

2. newchickjess

newchickjess Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 15, 2016
    Elysian Fields, TX
    After two months of going round and round with my daughter, we will be getting our chicks this week. I'm quite nervous due to the fact we have an indoor/outdoor cat and my three year old son who is rather rough. I'm also facing a fear of birds by doing this. Any suggestions on the best breeds to get with my particular situation?

3. Siggie

Siggie Chillin' With My Peeps

Dec 27, 2015
    Northshore MN
    I know exactly what you mean!!! I just found out my little chicks won't be here until April 27th!! I have 10 barred rocks, 5 Blue Cochins, 5 Australorps, and 5 Golden Laced Wyandottes coming!! At least this gives me more time to build the coop and by then I may be able to raise them more naturally outside in the coop with the heating pad method! I am so excited!!

4. Jensownzoo

Jensownzoo Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 7, 2016
    Saint Louis, MO
    The 8 week old pullets got kicked out of the house today into a 10x10' dog kennel that I've fortified against predators. Here is their reaction:

[​IMG]

On a sad note, I lost one of my buff cochin chicks today. She(?) had develpoed a really swollen hock joint that eventually ulcerated. I tried to treat, but she didn't have a great chance. And now my black cochin is having respiratory issues. Gave her nutri-drench and a bit of agave syrup, but She went down so fast. I will be picking up some antibiotics to keep on hand, just in case this spreads.

5. Mitch Mullenax

Mitch Mullenax Out Of The Brooder

Feb 15, 2016

This is sad news. I wish you well. Nice photo. They look happy.

6. Pattycat

Pattycat Out Of The Brooder

Jul 22, 2015
    Overgaard, AZ
    I love the polish. We got some of these in our flock this time. They are adorable, but smaller than some of the other chicks.

7. Pattycat

Pattycat Out Of The Brooder

Jul 22, 2015
    Overgaard, AZ
    Buff orphingtons and Rhode Island Reds are sweet birds. We have a few and they are so nice. Of course I love htem because they like to come visit. I was sitting in the yard the other day with my sisters and the hens joined us. We looked so silly, three ladies surrounded by hens. Our hen, Blondie, loves to be in laps, as does Sweetheart and Grumpy, but Grumpy prefers me to everyone else.

8. Mitch Mullenax

Mitch Mullenax Out Of The Brooder

Feb 15, 2016
    Last few details on the coop before the chicks arrive. If we ever have a tornado, I'm heading out to the coop!

9. misslogan019

misslogan019 Out Of The Brooder

Feb 28, 2016
    Georgia
    I have 9 slw chicks about 3 weeks old, I have just noticed on most of them a tumor like sac on the right side of their chests, it is covered in feathers and they all seem as crazy and happy as ever, what is this?

10. Jensownzoo

Jensownzoo Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 7, 2016
    Saint Louis, MO

The chick who keeps climbing into my lap is a BO named Dinah. I have four others, but they're a little more standoffish.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by