First Time Chick Parents, Spring 2016

I just went thru the same process.....I decided on barred rocks silver laced wyandotted speckled sussex and a black australorp. Good luck with your decision.

Read through some of breed threads. I thought I was set one breed until I read the tread of another. Plus as a newbie myself, I have learned tons.

I need help. One of my chicks has diarrhea and another on has loose poop. What could it be and what can I do? They are one chick feed the starter/grower one and a few cheerios.

Chicks will produce a loose very stinky poop several times a day normally...these are called "cecal poops" because they come from the paired ceca (bacterial fermentation happens in them). So, if your chicks are having normal poops interspersed with these diarrhea-like poops, it may be normal.

Stress of any kind can throw their digestive systems out of whack. So make sure that the temperature isn't too hot/cold, that they are not handled excessively, etc. and so forth. A healthy population of good bacteria in their gut can help them weather stresses and unfamiliar foods. Adding a probiotic to their water can provide these bacteria.

If you are noticing blood in the poops, it is worth treating with amprolium for coccidiosis. They build up natural immunity to this parasite as they mature, but occasionally will need some help with overgrowths when they are young as their immune systems are still developing.

Hi all.I'm not a first time chick parent but out of having chickens for around 5 years this is my FIRST time ordering from a hatchery. I'm soo excited and nervous ! I placed my spring order in January and picked April 11th as my hatch/ship date thinking it would be warmer. I had NO IDEA HOW HARD IT WAS TO WAIT THIS LONG!!BUT I DO finally have some news! your probably going to laugh at me but after waiting soooo long this IS big news to me! Next Monday my 9 little eggs go into the hatcheries incubator!! Yea!!!:) I'm so excited! when they ship please Pray they arrive from there long journey alive and well! my order is very small only 9 chicks. I'm expecting 7 Female Barred Rocks, 1 "suprise breed" production layer Female, and 1 Female Golden Cuckoo Maran. I can hardly wait to meet them! I just wanted to share with you all that finally after such a loooong wait soon they will be incubating!!! yea!!! :) ♡♡♡

My babies (2 RIR, 2 barred rock, 1 golden comet) are sleeping happily while I attempt to get some work done. I think I'm singlehandedly responsible for an overall drop in productivity today
caf.gif

Hi, I'm a first time chicken owner as well! After I move, I'm planning to get around 6 day old chicks. It'll probably be in April or May, but I'm looking forward to it! Hoping that I can get some Orphingtons or Rhode Island Reds. Maybe Barred Rocks? I honestly have no idea yet.

They will when they get used to the fact that the light is gone. If they are using the pad at night, they definitely know where "warm" is, but chickens (and their little counterparts) are creatures of habit. To them the lamp during the day is their "normal" and if it's not there they get confused, - and the owners panic. If I'm visualizing what you're saying, you turn the lamp off and then stand there to see what they'll do, is that right? So they suddenly have no light, no warmth all over the entire brooder, and you. Yep, they'll be confused. They aren't huddling as much for warmth as they are for security. So turn it off. Tuck a couple under MHP and hold your hand gently in front of the opening so they can't get back out. This just reminds them of where the heat is. Put some treats in the bottom of the brooder near the opening of MHP, or even on top. Then walk away. Leave. Let them figure it out. Come back in an hour or two and just peek in. You might be very surprised.

I don't have any scientific expertise to back up my theory, but I believe that by doing absolutely everything for the animals we care for, we do them a huge disservice. They don't have to rely on their own brains to help them figure out what to do. Ever heard someone talk about a dog that is perfectly capable physically of jumping into the car, but won't do it because he never had to learn? From the time he really had to be picked up and put in as a young puppy, physically unable to do it yet, the work was done for him. As he got bigger he just stood by the side of the car while the owners tried to coax him to do it himself, but he just stood there, waiting for what he's accustomed to. And they picked him up an put him in, again and again. Now 5 years later here he is, 60 pounds of dead weight being heaved into the car while the owners complain. Yeah, it's like that. We all seem to be of the mindset that says we have to do everything for our chicks - we don't. Instead of them being little divas, we need to let them be chickens. One of the things they need to learn to do is how to meet some of their own needs. We do need to provide them with an adequate diet, plenty of water, and a safe and clean environment. Providing some things for themselves - scratching in the ground and finding little bugs and such, self regulating their heat needs and exploring to learn their world - is just what Mom would do. Good luck!!
thank you!!!

Does anyone have tips on how to reduce the waste of feed? We tried the paper towel, which made it more evident as to how much food they are wasting.

Does anyone have tips on how to reduce the waste of feed? We tried the paper towel, which made it more evident as to how much food they are wasting.  

Consider fermenting the feed. You can do a search to find the thread, but it's really easy to do. They not only don't waste much, you get to use the crumbles that have turned into powder instead of throwing them away. I have gone through a LOT less feed since starting this.

I went in to Bucheit's to buy some fencing so I could move the big 8 week old chicks outside to a dog kennel until I get the coop done. Wouldn't you know they had some breeds of chicks that I either have on order for May or that MPC has sold out of for my ship date. So, came home with 2 Sicilian buttercup bantams, 3 light brahmas, and 1 white-faced Spanish bantam. They're happily in the brooder with the ones I picked up this weekend.

A bit unfortunately, one of my bantam buff cochins had a swollen hock joint yesterday and today it's ulcerated. Cleaned it up, applied neosporin, and covered it with a bandaid for padding. We will see how this goes...not looking good right now.

Chicks will produce a loose very stinky poop several times a day normally...these are called "cecal poops" because they come from the paired ceca (bacterial fermentation happens in them). So, if your chicks are having normal poops interspersed with these diarrhea-like poops, it may be normal.

Stress of any kind can throw their digestive systems out of whack. So make sure that the temperature isn't too hot/cold, that they are not handled excessively, etc. and so forth. A healthy population of good bacteria in their gut can help them weather stresses and unfamiliar foods. Adding a probiotic to their water can provide these bacteria.

If you are noticing blood in the poops, it is worth treating with amprolium for coccidiosis. They build up natural immunity to this parasite as they mature, but occasionally will need some help with overgrowths when they are young as their immune systems are still developing.
ok thank you

Back
Top Bottom