First Time Chick Parents, Spring 2016

Discussion in 'Raising Baby Chicks' started by feetkissearth, Feb 18, 2016.

1. Gypsy52

Gypsy52 Out Of The Brooder

Dec 3, 2015
    Hi ya'll well I'm new at this only since February. . I've had a broody hen we are on countdown today is last 5 days due date [​IMG]starting monday..

2. mijaryer

mijaryer Out Of The Brooder

Mar 30, 2016
    Sacramento, CA
    [​IMG]

Well. It's official... We are expanding our chicken herd. We currently have 2 buff orphingtons and 1 americauna... And we just added three more ladies (please...no whammies no whammies). The grey lady in back is a Cuckoo Bluebar and the Black lady is a French Black Copper Maran, both from Brickhaven Acres. My third is a Cream Legbar. They are 2 and 3 weeks old and I'm just hoping they're all ladies. Sigh. I hate getting attached and having to say goodbye.

I've been watching these forums awhile, and am glad to finally participate. I'm sure there will be many more photos to come... Especially when one starts farting; that is a sure sign he is male! Lol

3. kekstrom

kekstrom Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 21, 2016
    Southern Oregon
    Beautiful chicks! Welcome! [​IMG]

4. kekstrom

Mar 21, 2016
    Southern Oregon
    Oh fun! Welcome welcome! [​IMG]

5. jwtyrcha

jwtyrcha Out Of The Brooder

Mar 20, 2016
    I am a new mom to 4 fluffy peeps and I hope to learn many things from this site! So far so good, they all seem to be thriving, guess I am doing something right. lol

[​IMG]

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]

6. kekstrom

Mar 21, 2016
    Southern Oregon
    Again they are SO CUTE! What kind of brooder are they in? It looks like a glass aquarium... But I can't tell for sure.

7. jwtyrcha

Mar 20, 2016
    Yes it is an old bearded dragon enclosure, I am so happy I never got rid of it. It's 55 gallons and has venting around the front, doors that open in the front and a screen top. As for right now it is perfect. I was told I didn't need a heat lamp living in Florida and with the chicks being indoors, however they were really making a ruckus tonight so I picked them up and their little feet were cold. I had the light housing from the BD too so tonight I improvised and put a 20 watt bulb in there to give them some heat and tomorrow I will be getting them a heat lamp bulb.

Last edited: Mar 30, 2016
  8. Jensownzoo

Jensownzoo Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 7, 2016
    Saint Louis, MO

You probably don't need one with a high wattage since your ambient temp is probably somewhere near 70. Even better idea than a heating lamp is the ceramic heat emitters they make for reptiles...that way the chicks can still have a normal day/night cycle. But even better than THAT is brooding with a heating pad cave as descibed in the first few pages of this thread: https://www.backyardchickens.com/t/956958/mama-heating-pad-in-the-brooder-picture-heavy-update

9. jwtyrcha

Mar 20, 2016
    Wow! That is a great idea. As for my house temp it is around 77ish. They are in a room that heats up nicely during the day, getting sun for most of the morning and early afternoon. I guess I would just need a little heat for them at night.

10. kekstrom

Mar 21, 2016
    Southern Oregon
    Yea I'd say! Seem to be perfect! I switched to a clear sided brooder and I notice that my chicks seem to be much more happy to see us and watch the craziness of our family instead of just peering up from the bottom of a dark box. [​IMG]

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by