First Time Chick Parents, Spring 2016

Discussion in 'Raising Baby Chicks' started by feetkissearth, Feb 18, 2016.

1. Cooley gypsum

Cooley gypsum Out Of The Brooder

Mar 30, 2016
    This sounds like a fun idea! Newbys here and are picking up our chicks Friday! Super excited!

Thanks for starting thread!

Anne and John

2. ladynewtochicks

ladynewtochicks Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 21, 2016
    Montana
    I'm going to post my question here since no one is responding on the brooder thread and you guys are so active [​IMG] ...

I get a portion of my first ever chicks tomorrow, have my brooder all set up and holding a good temperature range. It is on our enclosed porch, I can open the door during the day but most likely will need to close it at night to keep a good temperature. It is a 100gal Rubbermaid horse tank with a warm end and a cool end, I scrapped together a hopefully cat proof lid(a freezer shelf, a dog kennel divider, and a piece of wood). The porch is 6ftx14ft approx. I'm shooting for 6chicks but it depends on what's available in the assorted bantam bin really lol, my plan is for:
    1-2 bantams
    1 black australorp
    1 speckled Sussex
    Possibly a barred rock
    Then next week two SLWs from the next order

Is my brooder large enough to be their home for 2 weeks while I build their coop?
    Is that going to be enough ventilation for them at that age or do I need to add a fan etc?

Thanks

3. yellowblack

yellowblack Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 10, 2016
    [email protected] WE HAVE THE SAME CHICK!! Is yours girl or boy mama? [​IMG]idth/200/height/400[/IMG][​IMG]

4. kekstrom

kekstrom Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 21, 2016
    Southern Oregon
    Wow! First congrats on your soon to be new chicks, and second, that sounds like a huge brooder! I have 5 in a 120quart size brooder and they are doing great! Of course, when they are 4-6weeks we'll be moving them out to the coop... but I think your set up sounds perfect.

5. ladynewtochicks

Mar 21, 2016
    Montana

Awesome! Thanks for getting back to me I'm a worrier lol I doubt I will get any sleep tonight

6. mamatoes

mamatoes Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 29, 2016
    Ontario

Twins hahah!
    I'm hoping girl! I've got twins in my flock already Zelda & Dolores. One acts all brave though and I hear that's signs of rooster. So I hope not!
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

7. Jensownzoo

Jensownzoo Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 7, 2016
    Saint Louis, MO
    They're here, they're in the brooder, they're eating/drinking happily, and I only lost the "packing peanut" during shipping. I feel a little bad about not feeling so bad about losing that one, but compared to last time when they were all dead? Quite a relief. Photo shoot later.

8. kekstrom

kekstrom Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 21, 2016
    Southern Oregon

Oh yay! I was waiting to hear about them. Sorry for the one loss, but I am excited for the pics.

9. ladynewtochicks

Mar 21, 2016
    Montana
    ok here they are!! I ended up bringing home 5 instead of 4 today surprise surprise lol

affectionately named "jerk chicken" lol I hope it doesn't stick
    shes an Americana which means easter egger right??
    I think her and number 2 are a few days older than the rest but I could be wrong im new...

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

"unnamed" a speckled sussex

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

"unnamed" a black australorp

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

"Chickaletta"
    from the assorted bantams bin from dunlap hatchery
    im thinking.... Golden Laced Cochin?? what do you think??

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

"nugget" shes soooooo tiny!
    from the assorted bantam bin from dunlap hatchery
    im thinking... Mille Fleur?? what do you think?

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

1 person likes this.
  10. Jensownzoo

Jensownzoo Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 7, 2016
    Saint Louis, MO
    Cute chicks!

I have some of my own to show off. Since some of the chicks look identical, I'm just going to post each breed.

Okay, first I have five Salmon Faverolles that I got from the farm store. They apparently had a poo fight this morning, so please excuse the dirty feathers. Oh, and I think this one was a little greedy at the food dish...

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]

Next I have two black Silkies. I have six white ones in my other brooder, so needed to add a little variety to that coop! So difficult to get a good photo of black animals...

[​IMG]

And then we have a single supermodel blue Silkie. Total ham for the camera!

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

And now we get to today's shipment. Here's one of three Crested Cream Legbar pullets. One of them isn't doing so well right now...horrendous watery diarrhea. Trying to keep her hydrated and supplemented now, but it's not looking great. This lady however is larger than the others and doing great.

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]

Here is a Crested Cream Legbar cockerel. Have two of these little guys. Had to show off his little yellow head dot.

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

And now we get into the rainbow assortment. These guys could be blue copper or splash marans, white/wheaten/black/blue/splash Ameraucana, or Olive Eggers. I've posted them on the breed ID forum to see what they have to say, but if you know, speak up!

Okay, have two of these guys. Black body, yellow belly, chocolate brown face.

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]

This guy is the most amazing chocolate brown all over.

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]

And this guy is a bit smaller, all black except for a small dot of yellow on its chin.

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by