First Time Chick Parents, Spring 2016

Discussion in 'Raising Baby Chicks' started by feetkissearth, Feb 18, 2016.

1. newchickjess

newchickjess Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 15, 2016
    Elysian Fields, TX
    This one is Maggie but yes she had more creamy yellow. The other little lady is mostly white with sprinkles of gray. She looks dirty!
  2. newchickjess

Mar 15, 2016
    Elysian Fields, TX
    Btw, Agatha is gorgeous!
  3. Blooie

Blooie Team Spina Bifida Premium Member

Feb 25, 2014
    Northwestern Wyoming
    My Coop
    Oops, sorry, got the names confused. [​IMG]
  4. collie1470

collie1470 Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 5, 2015
    Wilton, ME
    The babies had their 3 week old photo shoot today lol. I can't believe how fast they're growing. 1 definite boy (red). 2 starting to look a bit pink in the face, but I can't seem to get it on camera (blue and purple). 1 acting boyish, but no color in the comb (white). Hopefully, at least a couple of these chicks end up being pullets.

5. Jensownzoo

Jensownzoo Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 7, 2016
    Saint Louis, MO

Yeah, I can see wattle buds on blue and purple...they definitely bear watching!

I just had a good look at my white silkie chicks...unfortunately going by the width of the combs, I have 5 cockerels and one pullet. Which I can totally believe based on their behavior! They are the rowdiest, jumpingest, chest-bumpingest chicks in the whole brooder! Looks like I'm going to have some puffy cotton balls to sell once they get out of that gawkward stage of feathering...
  6. newchickjess

Mar 15, 2016
    Elysian Fields, TX
    No worries Blooie. Now that all my gold sex links are feathering out, I get them totally confused!
  7. Jess72180

Jess72180 Out Of The Brooder

Mar 23, 2016
    Ulster Park, NY
    I am so in love with my girl Claire. The pic is her sleeping in my hand again. Last night she came to my hand 7 times to get a piece of grape. None of the others even paid attention to me and she ate the piece quietly and carefully so they didn't notice. I adore her!! Tonight as she rested she made this super cute sound and her beak kind of opened and shut. We also noticed tonight that many of our babies were pushing around the shaving left to right with their beak, like they were sweeping with their beak. It was so cute! Is this an instinctual thing that they do to dig for bugs and worms?[​IMG]
  8. kekstrom

kekstrom Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 21, 2016
    Southern Oregon

Mine do the same, but it's to clean their beak. If they get something on it, they'll "wipe" it against the ground, or anything else. They use their legs to scratch to search for something.
  9. 9281022

9281022 Out Of The Brooder

Mar 31, 2016
    Newbie here! I have two hatch dates because I was dead set on getting the breeds I wanted! April 18th & April 20th, I am so stinkin' eggcited!! All layers.

1- Australorp
    1- Silver Laced Wyandotte
    1- NH Red
    1- RI Red
    1- Dominique
    1- Easter Egger (my daughter's)

I even have names for them! Not sure which name is going to who though.

Mabel (I just don't know why! But I love it for a chicken!!)
    Dylan (yup, for a girl!)
    Drew (Barrymore)
    Pam (from the show True Blood)
    Marilyn (Monroe of course!)

10. bantamm

bantamm Out Of The Brooder

Apr 1, 2016
    I'll be getting my first chickens this month! I'm getting:

1 Silver Laced Cochin
    1 Gold Laced Polish
    1 White Crested Black Polish
    And 4 from this assortment because I just had to.

I can't wait! :D
    1 person likes this.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by