First Time Chick Parents, Spring 2016

Discussion in 'Raising Baby Chicks' started by feetkissearth, Feb 18, 2016.

1. collie1470

collie1470 Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 5, 2015
    Wilton, ME
    And occasionally use it to calm my dog down if she gets too hyped up to be otherwise calmed.

2. borntobeworn

borntobeworn New Egg

Apr 2, 2016
    Hi! First time chicken people here! Mt babies are about a week old, except for Martha who we got yesterday to round out our flock. I've been browsing and can't wait to read more!

Here are the ladies (minus Martha) last Friday :)

[​IMG]

1 person likes this.
  3. Dorsey34

Dorsey34 New Egg

Mar 20, 2016
    Andover, MA

Of course we have pictures! [​IMG][/IMG]

4. newchickjess

newchickjess Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 15, 2016
    Elysian Fields, TX
    Thanks for the responses on flipping her! I kinda feel bad for doing it now. Since I've stopped, she just gets in my lap and lies on her side and dozes. Definitely my little lap chicken :)

5. Dorsey34

Dorsey34 New Egg

Mar 20, 2016
    Andover, MA
    We are loving these little guys. [​IMG][​IMG][​IMG]

6. toolbox003

toolbox003 New Egg

Mar 4, 2016
    NE Kansas
    So my babies are a month old, and a couple of them are getting hen pecked. I thought we had bloody poop at first till I saw their butts. One has lost almost all her little tail feathers and another looks like they have just started pulling and pecking at hers. I think I know who the bully is, but I don't know what I need to do to help my girls that have been pecked and are bleeding and to stop the bully hen! Help!!

7. azygous

azygous Flock Master

Dec 11, 2009
    Colorado Rockies
    Get some Blu-kote or Blue Lotion from your feed store, and spray or paint it on the fresh wounds. Then verify who the cannibal is and start in on a regimen of discipline. I describe how to go about this in an article I wrote. It's linked below under "Articles by Azygous" - the one on aggressive chicks.

8. ladynewtochicks

ladynewtochicks Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 21, 2016
    Montana

I just love blue Kote it is seriously the best stuff, just never on a cat (you only make that mistake once)... I was going to ask if I could use it on the chickens, good to know!

9. Jensownzoo

Jensownzoo Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 7, 2016
    Saint Louis, MO

:lau

10. Jess72180

Jess72180 Out Of The Brooder

Mar 23, 2016
    Ulster Park, NY
    [​IMG]
    Here is my girl Claire. She come to my hand as soon as I reach into the brooder. She LOVES to be held. I adore her.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by