First Time Chick Parents, Spring 2016

Yay!!  Congratulations  :weee   It's so much fun. 

We now have 4 little pullet eggs in a saucer on the kitchen counter.  We can't seem to bring ourselves to eat them, we just sort of wander by and admire them.  My younger son is talking about preserving/saving them in some way, any ideas on that?

You can either remove the insides (blown egg) or you can actually just leave them as is. Eventually all the contents will dehydrate completely and you'll be able to hear them rattling around inside...at that point you can shellac them to add strength or leave as is. The egg won't smell as long as it isn't cracked accidentally.

I just got an egg blower in the mail so I don't have to put my mouth on the egg. My first flock egg (brown) has these lovely calcium deposits (white) streaked all over it that I want to preserve.

Ten weeks old already!!

Hey all!

so.... I ran the numbers long before I ordered chicks. I knew I wanted a rooster, and that hatcheries have a 90% accuracy rate for sexing on a good day. I ordered 15 and was given one extra. This would mean that - in theory - I would likely have 1-2 roos.

Now, I keep thinking I see roosters, and then I change my mind. I may be an over-thinker ;)

Here are some pictures of my flock. They were hatched 6/1.

Hey all! so.... I ran the numbers long before I ordered chicks. I knew I wanted a rooster, and that hatcheries have a 90% accuracy rate for sexing on a good day. I ordered 15 and was given one extra. This would mean that - in theory - I would likely have 1-2 roos. Now, I keep thinking I see roosters, and then I change my mind. I may be an over-thinker ;) Here are some pictures of my flock. They were hatched 6/1.
The second and third photos the same bird? I would think roo for the one with the reddish comb

These fluffy featherbottoms are 8 weeks old now! We came across the box they were shipped in yesterday in our scrap pile. Pretty unbelievable they all fit in there once!
These

Back
Top Bottom