First Time Chick Parents, Spring 2016

I thought of keeping some of our pullet eggs but realistically I don't need more clutter in my house and pictures keep just as long. Here is our EE lady's first egg. It was insanely pretty.
I love that color. I've got one EE and looks nearly like yours. Love the white specks.

I don't honestly know what an apothecary jar is. Makes me think of eyeballs floating around in a fluid filled jar
1f602.png
or like little shrunken heads...it is almost Halloween

I've got a tall apothecary jar that I'm saving some of the prettier eggs in (blown out). Once that's full, I'll probably stop. ;)

We got our first egg!!!!! WHOOOOOOOOOOO

Post wash

We think our Barred Rock, Black Betty laid it. She seems to have brighter cherry red comb and wattles than our other BR and she looks more 'squatty'. She likes to squat in the their dirt area and just sit there like she's making a nest.

We found this egg NOT in the nest boxes but on the floor of the coop by their feeder. Do you think this could be a rookie mistake or should we look into fixing the boxes up more for their liking? Do you thinks he will go to the nest box eventually? Should I expect another egg tomorrow? or are they not an every day thing at first?

I am so excited!!! :D

Congratulations!

I wouldn't change things up yet. It could definitely have been a mistake or could have been scratched out of the box after being laid.

You should always check for eggs now, but don't expect them? Even if you get several pullets laying, there may be a time when all their "skip" days coincide.

Depends I've had some girls start and not skip a day and others do. Also some lay out of the box the first day and go in the box every other day. I think sometimes they can't hold it if another hen is in the box and sometimes they just don't know what's going on. I'd definitely have dummy eggs in the box tho. They work.
We got our first egg!!!!! WHOOOOOOOOOOO Post wash We think our Barred Rock, Black Betty laid it. She seems to have brighter cherry red comb and wattles than our other BR and she looks more 'squatty'. She likes to squat in the their dirt area and just sit there like she's making a nest. We found this egg NOT in the nest boxes but on the floor of the coop by their feeder. Do you think this could be a rookie mistake or should we look into fixing the boxes up more for their liking? Do you thinks he will go to the nest box eventually? Should I expect another egg tomorrow? or are they not an every day thing at first? I am so excited!!! :D

Whoa...it looks like my chickens had a pillow fight in the side yard and everybody lost...

So, fall molt, eh? No wonder egg count dropped off!

You know what's funny is I've been seeing random explosions of one color feather around the yard. Like a pillow fight as you said.... but I was always worried a chicken got caught by a predator and went missing so I'd do a count, find them all and go "huh." Never thinking the pile of feathers could be a moulting incident lol.

I didn't know they moult as pullets too. It seems they just got their feathers lol!

Last edited:
Depends I've had some girls start and not skip a day and others do. Also some lay out of the box the first day and go in the box every other day. I think sometimes they can't hold it if another hen is in the box and sometimes they just don't know what's going on. I'd definitely have dummy eggs in the box tho. They work.

There is one dummy egg in one of the nest boxes. I think we are going to move the egg around so they know they are all best boxes lol

Back
Top Bottom