First time chicken keeper….. to get chicks or P.O.L?!

monkeyjason

In the Brooder
8 Years
Aug 22, 2011
MK, England.
Hey,

Ok, so I have cleared a massive space in my garden, built the prefect coop and run within this, I’m ready to roll.

I want to get chicks, but I’m still trying to work out the pros and cons….

Maybe a few more experienced keepers can help me with the following:

• If I get chicks, can I assume that they will be much more friendly towards us and be easily handled.
• My brood box will be indoors, is it going to stink as much as some of let on or with regular cleaning is it going to be ok ? (I keep a rabbit indoors so I’m ok with a bit of a whiff but let’s not go crazy.)
• I’m looking to get two blue rangers and one silver Sussex, am I looking at 6-8 weeks before they are free to go outside in to the coop and run? How big will they be at this stage as they will be indoors until now.
• Probably the most important question: I work 9-5, is this safe and fair for the chicks? Do I need to check on them more regularly in the day to ensure they are well?

Cheers for taking some time and helping me make an educated decision.

Jason Charles

welcome-byc.gif

Yeah, a new chicken keeper....you will love it!

#1, yes, they should be friendlier, but then not all chickens like to be handled. I am raising 3 EE 10 week olds, only 2 of them like to be touched, yet I handled them all the same from day one.
#2, I had my 3 little EE pullets inside for 4 weeks, then I moved them outside to the coop with the big girls to integrate them in...its not a bad smell, just keep up with some minor
scooping and replace the litter.
#3, Where do you live? They should be feathered out by 4-5 weeks...in fact I did not even use a heat lamp on my girls but one day, the summer heat kept them warm enough...they will do great outside depending on temps, but by 6 weeks, they will be MORE than ready to get outside!
#4, they will do fine without you checking on them...food and water in the AM, and check again at night...YOU will have more problems, not being able to peek in on them!

Take pics every week...they grow fast!!

ENJOY!!
thumbsup.gif

** I looked up Blue Ranger, since I had never heard of that particular breed, you are in the UK? What are your temps like there? That will determine when you put your chicks outside, but I can't imagine any longer than 4 weeks inside.

Last edited:
Quote:
Hi,

thanks for the speedy reply!

Yeah live in the UK, it is coming to the end of summer her, so they will be out in the winter months.

will it still be warm in the next 6 weeks?
You may just need to add a heat lamp to the coop, and lots of thick shavings they nestle down into.

you COULD get 20 week olds...but what is the fun of that?!

its much more enjoyable to watch them grow up and handle them so they grow to
love you....!
love.gif

Quote:
Ahhhhh so back to the do i get chicks or not
smile.png

I gues the thing is to look at, will it be to cold for them when they are outside..... its a tricky one as i have no power to their house.

can you get an extension cord to it?

Its more fun to have chicks...as to POL....IMO

I love watching them grow and change and see their personalities grow.

But, yes, what will the weather be like...if it will be in the 50's at night, that will be
fine with 6 week olds...as long as they are feathered out, down coat, remember!

They will snuggle together also...you can make the coop as draft free as possible and insulate it

I got two point of lay chickens they are lovely and always follow me around the place but they don't like to be handled , one will tolerate it if shes eating but the other one will run out of sight if my hand comes near ! I think u should get little baby chickies !

Back
Top Bottom