first time chicken keeper with a unique cage approach to hen house

Those parrot cages are powder-coated iron and rust quickly outdoors. A little sun will also make everything metal intolerably hot. I would not use that cage outdoors for any bird.

All you need in the LA climate is a roof, a wind screen, and predator protection in the form of a secured enclosure. I'd look at examples of 3-sided structures.

Don't let your desire for chickens rush you into something that in the end probably isn't the best solution. This set up doesn't look safe or comfortable, and I don't think chickens would be very happy in it. Personally, I would keep looking for a better set up before you get your chickens. I know some people might just have 2 birds, but most have more. If one got sick and/or died, the other would be left all alone. Introducing a new chicken would be difficult (I'm not saying impossible).

I've built a few enclosures in my day and I think this newbie shows alot of promise. Great use of space, available material. If you predator proof it like you say, then my only concern is when the sun might creep into the front and start heating stuff up. You could solve the sun problem and also get rid of the open/draftyness of it with a little more lumber. Maybe enclose the whole front? If no sun in there, then I say go for it. You've thought it out pretty good. Lots of good advice for you so far, but I think most of it you already had planned for. Don't underestimate the ability of a LA raccoon to get past unsupported wire. You'll have to frame every bit of wire and also plan for those coons, opossums, cats, and dogs digging their way in. That's my two cents worth anyway. Good luck.

Last edited:
Thanks for all the great feedback so far!

The cage is just for roosting and nesting, they would have access to a secured chicken run (the space under the long wood pieces and 15 sq feet of the ground covered with pebbles in front of the cage all day long (I won't be closing the cage door at all). To boot, they will have access to the whole backyard on the weekends. The cage would have Zero sun exposure, actually not even the run really has exposure, which maybe a problem. The ramp is just an quick example (it is wood painted black).

Instead of a standard roof I was thinking about the triangular lean-to roof to maximize storage space/roosting space/space for me to get into the pen.

thanks!!!
southpaw

ps. good note on the metal of the cage as a heat issue.
pss. predators: raccoon, possums, other cats, our cat Sid is mostly harmless, very friendly with all animals other than small birds.
psss. Do I need more insulation than what is shown for chickens in Los Angeles? Some mentioned puting some wood siding around the cage instead of just burlap. Maybe burlap in the summer, plywood siding in the winter? Is that more for their "sense of security" or do they need it for insulation against the cold?

Last edited:
Quote:
You won't need any insulation in L.A., it just doesn't get cold enough to worry about that. Chickens can do fine in even very cold weather if they are kept out of drafts or wind. Burlap will work fine to cut any drafts if you have it securely fastened to the cage. Plus, during the summer, when it gets hot, you can wet the burlap and your chickens will have air conditioning.

I'm new. But LA can get really HOT and I agree, metal will get hot in that type of heat and might burn the chicken's feet. Insulation? I think there is some foam stuff that wraps around the hose that I remember using to keep the water from freezing over in the winter. But, my chickens are curious ones, they peck at everything - not sure if it's good for them. Burlap - nylon, plastic? Would it be tough if the chicken's feet/ nail get stuck in it? Just a thought.

You might also consider placing hardware cloth around the entire cage on the outside just for added protection against coons and maybe close them up at night with this wire on the door also! You can do it while seeing that your mind is set
smile.png
! With the plastic tray in the bottom their feet should not get stuck there and since chickens don't climb wire or metal I don't think that you'll have any concerns unless their legs get stuck through the bars and they spaz out to free themselves, hardware cloth would take care of this!

Last edited:
Others have commented here on why chickens might not be very happy or safe with this proposed setup, but let me suggest some reasons why you might not be very happy with it once you put chickens out there.

Chickens poop a lot. You'll be amazed (my husband was when we left him to take care of the chickens while my daughter and I were away on vacation, and we only have tiny bantams). You'll need to clean out the bottom of that cage every day or your chickens will soon be ankle deep in their own feces. There's no way to contain bedding (typically wood shavings) inside the bottom of that cage. How will you manage the manure?

You also need to realize that the bird cage itself provides no real security to the chickens inside because of the large gaps between the wires. If a raccoon manages to get inside the run, your chickens are goners. The raccoon will pull your birds out through the wire, piece by piece. This happens, and it's ghastly when you come out in the morning to see what remains.

Honestly, I would ditch the cage. Build a stout, hardware cloth run along the lines you've been planning, and just set up a roost and a nestbox inside the run. Put a tray or board under the roost to make removal of nighttime droppings easier, maybe put sand down inside ther run.

Back
Top Bottom