First time chicken mom, last time coop builder 🤣

akostka1988

Chirping
May 15, 2020
Alton, ME
Hi just wanted to share my progress and see if anyone has any advice on things I may be missing. It went from a simple idea of a 4’x6’ coop with a matching run to my dad’s version of my idea lol. He got WAY too in to this project. I had asked for his help to basically cut all the pieces I needed but now he’s been hands on building it and frankly it’s so well formed I’m pretty sure a human could comfortably live in it.

Attachments

• 0B63560D-C8F5-4EB0-9CFD-F935E68DD65E.jpeg
    0B63560D-C8F5-4EB0-9CFD-F935E68DD65E.jpeg
    492.5 KB · Views: 43
  • 7C394DD2-9D4E-4AB4-86D1-516B1199A60C.jpeg
    7C394DD2-9D4E-4AB4-86D1-516B1199A60C.jpeg
    1 MB · Views: 43
  • D4E6675D-865D-4EB7-9DFB-815EAB7D3919.jpeg
    D4E6675D-865D-4EB7-9DFB-815EAB7D3919.jpeg
    850 KB · Views: 49
Hi just wanted to share my progress and see if anyone has any advice on things I may be missing. It went from a simple idea of a 4’x6’ coop with a matching run to my dad’s version of my idea lol. He got WAY too in to this project. I had asked for his help to basically cut all the pieces I needed but now he’s been hands on building it and frankly it’s so well formed I’m pretty sure a human could comfortably live in it.
Is the coop open on the front? If not, it might need more ventilation but otherwise looks amazing!

Not quite done yet. There will be windows on each side with a hinges flap to close during the winter months.

Will those windows be the only form of ventilation or is there open space under the roof line? If you're in a colder climate, in winter it's even more important to have good ventilation, to prevent moisture from building up inside.

Yayyy, Dad!!!

Welcome to BYC! @akostka1988
Where in this world are you located?
Climate, and time of year, is almost always a factor.
Please add your general geographical location to your profile.
It's easy to do, and then it's always there!
1592950968635.png

Alright here it is totally chicken friendly now but needs more paint once the weather is agreeable and I’ll have to redo the chicken wire but they seem to like it!

Attachments

• CC476037-603C-4A8C-8E2C-8554C8B3A237.jpeg
    CC476037-603C-4A8C-8E2C-8554C8B3A237.jpeg
    946.1 KB · Views: 18
Alright here it is totally chicken friendly now but needs more paint once the weather is agreeable and I’ll have to redo the chicken wire but they seem to like it!
Nice build! But may I suggest one important change. Ditch the chicken wire as it’s only good at keeping chickens in and NOT keeping the predators OUT. A coon or fox can rip through the chicken wire and get at your birds or pull one through it piece by piece. I would go with at least 19 gauge hardware cloth with the 1/2in openings. As well as at least an 18in skirt along the ground outside the parameter of the coop and run with the same material, it’ll keep the other critters from digging up and under the fencing and into the enclosure. Stapled to the ground with landscaping staples. The long ones. Use fender washers and screws to secure the wire to the frame as well. Good luck!

Looks really good! I do have a couple of quick questions for you though..first I count at least four or five birds in your picture? How many are there total? And if you get time, could you show some pics all the way around? I'm curious about your ventilation situation..I'm thinking you may not have enough ventilation for the coop size and almost certainly not enough square footage for the number of chickens in there. I know you probably don't wanna hear that since you've got such a nice set up, but chicken math doesn't lie.

Nice build! But may I suggest one important change. Ditch the chicken wire as it’s only good at keeping chickens in and NOT keeping the predators OUT. A coon or fox can rip through the chicken wire and get at your birds or pull one through it piece by piece. I would go with at least 19 gauge hardware cloth with the 1/2in openings. As well as at least an 18in skirt along the ground outside the parameter of the coop and run with the same material, it’ll keep the other critters from digging up and under the fencing and into the enclosure. Stapled to the ground with landscaping staples. The long ones. Use fender washers and screws to secure the wire to the frame as well. Good luck!
No I won’t be changing that they are only in there til they lay their first clutch then they will be free range. It’s intended to keep them in not predators out all of the doors are secured with bolts when they go to bed and that coop is sturdy enough to house a human! 🤣 (Thanks, dad!)

Back
Top Bottom