First time chicken mom, last time coop builder 🤣

Looks really good! I do have a couple of quick questions for you though..first I count at least four or five birds in your picture? How many are there total? And if you get time, could you show some pics all the way around? I'm curious about your ventilation situation..I'm thinking you may not have enough ventilation for the coop size and almost certainly not enough square footage for the number of chickens in there. I know you probably don't wanna hear that since you've got such a nice set up, but chicken math doesn't lie.
The coop is 4’ tall, 6’ wide, and 4’ long. The run matches. There is also a 8”x10” window on the front as well as an 8”x10” window on the other side. (My dad was feeling a bit tired and grumpy when he cut that first small window which is also why you can see part of the corner brace in it as well). The roof is also raised with strapping to keep it from sitting directly on top of the plywood and the plywood is shit and dips down a bit In the middle so there’s circulation in every side but the floor and the very back of the coop.

Looks really good! I do have a couple of quick questions for you though..first I count at least four or five birds in your picture? How many are there total? And if you get time, could you show some pics all the way around? I'm curious about your ventilation situation..I'm thinking you may not have enough ventilation for the coop size and almost certainly not enough square footage for the number of chickens in there. I know you probably don't wanna hear that since you've got such a nice set up, but chicken math doesn't lie.
It looks worse because they are crowding together next to the ramp to lay in the fresh dirt one of the guineas dug

It looks worse because they are crowding together next to the ramp to lay in the fresh dirt one of the guineas dug
Oh, I don't mean that they LOOK crowded together..it's that if you do some research you'll find that you need a minimum of about 3 sq ft per bird. Recommendations vary from 2 to 4 sq ft depending on the breed size, temperament etc..but 3 sq ft is pretty much an accepted standard. Your coop is 4'x6', so that's 24 sq ft, which is an acceptable size for no more than 6 to 8 birds. If you go up to the four sq ft per bird standard, that's room enough for 4 to 6.

The run is a different story altogether..I've seen a lot of figures thrown around, but 10 sq ft per bird is a pretty common number you'll hear. So let's assume you have 5 chickens..that's 50 sq ft of run space, or depending on how it's configured roughly 6'x8'.

Ventilation is another issue..this article is very informative and goes into depth regarding size and types of ventilation as well as the reasons why it's so important..its not just for the summer heat!

https://www.backyardchickens.com/ar...-there-and-cut-more-holes-in-your-coop.47774/

Last edited:
Oh, I don't mean that they LOOK crowded together..it's that if you do some research you'll find that you need a minimum of about 3 sq ft per bird. Recommendations vary from 2 to 4 sq ft depending on the breed size, temperament etc..but 3 sq ft is pretty much an accepted standard. Your coop is 4'x6', so that's 24 sq ft, which is an acceptable size for no more than 6 to 8 birds. If you go up to the four sq ft per bird standard, that's room enough for 4 to 6.

The run is a different story altogether..I've seen a lot of figures thrown around, but 10 sq ft per bird is a pretty common number you'll hear. So let's assume you have 5 chickens..that's 50 sq ft of run space, or depending on how it's configured roughly 6'x8'.

Ventilation is another issue..this article is very informative and goes I to depth regarding size and types of ventilation as well as the reasons why it's so important..its not just for the summer heat!

https://www.backyardchickens.com/ar...-there-and-cut-more-holes-in-your-coop.47774/
They’ll be free range and have 1/4 an acre by September as soon as they pop out their first clutch

Ventilation is another issue..this article is very informative and goes I to depth regarding size and types of ventilation as well as the reasons why it's so important..its not just for the summer heat!

And I planned this coop for 7 birds but ended up with 2 extra

And I planned this coop for 7 birds but ended up with 2 extra
Okay..so you're saying you have 9 birds in there? The intent to free range in a couple months aside, I'd still say that's pretty cramped quarters for that many and the run should still be predator proofed. Doing otherwise is just inviting trouble. I know you're very proud of yourself and your dad and very happy with your set up..and you SHOULD BE..it's very nice..but, I feel like because of that you might be reacting a bit defensively and not open to hearing suggestions on what might be best for them. I mean no disrespect..just trying to help. Best of luck to you!

Hi just wanted to share my progress and see if anyone has any advice on things I may be missing. It went from a simple idea of a 4’x6’ coop with a matching run to my dad’s version of my idea lol. He got WAY too in to this project. I had asked for his help to basically cut all the pieces I needed but now he’s been hands on building it and frankly it’s so well formed I’m pretty sure a human could comfortably live in it.
Dad’s are awesome!!!! Go Dad!

Nice build! But may I suggest one important change. Ditch the chicken wire as it’s only good at keeping chickens in and NOT keeping the predators OUT. A coon or fox can rip through the chicken wire and get at your birds or pull one through it piece by piece. I would go with at least 19 gauge hardware cloth with the 1/2in openings. As well as at least an 18in skirt along the ground outside the parameter of the coop and run with the same material, it’ll keep the other critters from digging up and under the fencing and into the enclosure. Stapled to the ground with landscaping staples. The long ones. Use fender washers and screws to secure the wire to the frame as well. Good luck!
Bear1978, I am about to finish my coop and planned on leaving extra 1/2”hardware cloth at bottom. Can you share pics of yours? Do you bury the wire straight down or make 45degree angle and run parallel the ground? I also have a TON of rocks I’ve collected, I was planning on using along the perimeter. 574B1187-66DB-413B-A79C-4D35EB75D788.jpeg EBAC5079-9781-480C-BE0E-A121BD33D9E7.jpeg 69845EDD-3A21-40B5-A90F-9D4E9AC6B50B.jpeg EE937630-7C57-4697-B0BF-D39BE12E68FA.jpeg 023D4CCC-B782-4A6B-ADF8-71CE56B4B04C.jpeg

My skirting will be laying parallel to the ground and going op about 4 inches at a 90 degree angle. Still on the fence about burying it an inch or two under the surface or not. I’ll probably leave it unburied most likely. But it will extend out about 20 inches from the bottom of the enclosure.

Back
Top Bottom