First time chicken owner-best breed?Brahma?

Like @coorain , I recommend Chantecler. The only Canadian developed breed, developed for Canadian cold weather. Small cushion combs and small wattles. Very attractive birds, come in a few colors. We have 1 and she is fairly high in pecking order -at one time highest spot, I believe, and she is not aggressive to the others. Seems to lay well. I think they tend to lay better in cooler weather, as well.

May wish to look at Wyandotte as well, as another cold hardy breed - though mine are crazy energetic, even more than the Brahma, which may result in behavior issues depending upon your available deep winter run design. They seem to like space.

Will echo the Chantecler recommend, but not from personal experience. and will I love my Brahma and will recommend, its with the caveat that some have experienced problems with their leg feathers accumulating frozen mud, so be aware of that potential issue.

Its great to keep the cold in mind when selecting breeds, but don't underestimate the effect of the summer heat waves either. Brahmas are amazing in our winters, but I've noticed that my friends tend to be hit pretty hard by our heat in the summers and lean toward to wanting to hide through the worst of it. If you're able to provide ample shade it's not terrible on them though. Feathered feet aren't always a blessing either if you decide to go that route, keep an eye out for ice packs like the ones that build up in the fur between some dogs toes. There's a ton of breeds that seem to do just fine up here, but your setup will be key to which will do the best. I may have missed this answer but what are your goals for your birds? Eggs, meat, amazing lawn ornaments, pets?

I've 5 Dark Brahma thriving in the FL heat and humidity - yes, they hide from the mid day heat (as does everything with at least half a brain) - but if you give them shade, plenty of cool water, and a bit of consideration in the planning stages, they tolerate it well. Much as OP is doing for cold weather considerations. Heat shouldn't be a limiting factor for the breed in Canada.

(and I've assumed dual purpose - hope that wasn't wrong)

Welcome!
Chanteclers, love them! Avoiding at least roosters with single combs makes sense in cold climates, and there are many breeds to pick from!
Look at Henderson's breed chart, and feathersite, for more ideas.
Easter Eggers, Wyandottes, maybe Brahmas. Single combed breeds include Plymouth Rocks and Speckled Sussex, very nice birds, so maybe not the big combed roosters.
For a first flock, get several breeds that look interesting, and see who you like! Over time, we have tried many, and it's fun.
Mary

About the breeds being mentioned for cold weather: I have several orloffs and I love them, beautiful cold hearty birds, but I would never classify them as a good egg layer. They are probably the poorest egg layers of all the breeds I have plus their eggs are the smallest of my large fowl eggs. I often wonder how a full size chick can develop inside one.
We're not as cold as you, but breeds that do well here are Ameraucanas, EE's, Wyandottes Dominiques, and even our sex links do well

I have heritage RIRs, BCMs, and two Wyandottes. Wyandottes lay much smaller eggs than RIRs and BCMs. They are large, slow, and docile. Out of the 3 breeds above, I would recommend RIRs as a good starter breed - they lay pretty much every day, even in winter; their eggs are huge, especially compared to their size (my chickens are rather small but laying jumbo eggs that won't even fit into a plastic egg storage container), and they are not aggressive (important when introducing new chickens to the existing flock). I love my BCMs but they don't lay well in winter.

Back
Top Bottom