First time chicken owner in DFW Texas!

Buy more property than you will think you need! We went from small lot to 1 acre. After a while, 1 acre seemed small. Now we are at 5 acres...guess who is wanting to think about 50-100 acres now? It is so nice to be able to sprawl and do what you want without people having a cow because it's too noisy, too stinky (like compost), etc. It IS a lot of work though. Which is why I can't believe we're getting chickens now...

Snow.........I'm in the Garland area and I'd like to see your setup also! I'm in process of learning just about everything I can about "farming".........I mostly love growing food (the garden type) but I'm about to get 2 hens for eggs, and being my little "helpers" with keeping bugs down and providing compost material. I'm even going to start a worm bin....I have property in east tx that I want to live on (it's currently my vacation spot) one of these days. I bought a documentary called "Fresh" and it's VERY educational about ecology and how chickens are essential little helpers on a farm.

I told my hubby we need at least 10. I'm thinking between 10 and 20 will be good. The problem we had was nothing was available with a livable house, so we may need to end up buying land and building our own home. I almost bought 30 about 2 years ago, and now I really wish I had done it. Oh well.

Fellow DFWer here. We just got started with chickens (skipped the chicks) and now have 15 hens. They are addictive! We live on 8/10 of an acre in Keller.

Anyone local (or driving through) is more than welcome to check out our setup. PM me and we can set it up.

The property thing is an issue for my husband and me. Since we're still students buying property isn't feasible but is WAY up on our list of "Important Things." It would be nice to be in a financial and employment place where we could do that. So, we are doing everything in the backyard of our duplex in a means that can be transported.

welcome-byc.gif
Welcome from another Newbie Texan. Your going to enjoy this site and learn alot. Sure is alot of Texans joining this last week.

I read the ordiance and understood you, in Garland, must live on at least 1/2 acre?? We are on about 1/3 and acre but we want to own chickens to consume the eggs. Do you think this is correct, must we be on 1/2 acre or more in Garland??

Thanks,
Egglover54

Back
Top Bottom