First Time Chicken Owner

srutan23

In the Brooder
Mar 3, 2015
Pennsylvania
So my son asked if he could raise chickens and sell the eggs a couple months ago. His father and I try to encourage outdoor activities as much as we can, but I was thinking this was a little over my skill set. My husband however was raised on a farm and said Absolutely! So we are now the proud owners of 6 Barred Rock Hens and 1 Lavender Maran Roo. Our coop won't be here for another 3 weeks, so we had to make temporary arrangements. My son is so excited that he did his homework in the coop last night because the chickens arrived yesterday. I have to say that I believe I am already addicted and they won't lay eggs for another couple weeks.

How eggciting for him! I wish we would have had chickens when my girls were small. They are grown now, 25, 23 and 19. We just got our first chickens February 15th, they are loving it!

Good luck! I hope he does his homework in the coop every night! How fun is that?!!
clap.gif

He's 11 and made a compost barrel on Saturday. He even did some of the welding himself with his dad's assistance. I'm not sure where he is coming up with all these eco friendly ideas, but I'm just going to keep encouraging it. My 13yo daughter on the other hand is appalled that we have chickens. "Ew! Are we turning into chicken farmers?" Yes, yes we are. Now go hide in your room and leave your brother alone.

Ah yes, those early teen years are a tough time... I have a few friends and relatives that have asked me the same "so, your a chicken farmer now?" I just say yes, yes we are.

Your son is on his way to a bright farming future!!

Enjoy them while they are young!

Chickens can be a lot of fun, and it helps to have people around who like to do some building projects. Your teen daughter might even come around eventually. Tell her some of the rich and famous like to talk about their chickens and the eggs they lay. Jennifer Aniston, Julia Roberts, and Reese Witherspoon all have chickens. Even Oprah has chickens on her Hawaiian estate.

I'm a first time owner myself. Unfortunately, my first batch were preyed on. But my second batch is now thriving. Here's a picture.

Back
Top Bottom