First time chicks

Discussion in 'Raising Baby Chicks' started by ChickGfeller, Mar 19, 2015.

1. ChickGfeller

ChickGfeller New Egg

Mar 19, 2015
    Iowa Park, Texas
    This is the first time my husband and I have raised chicks. We have our coop built now and bought 50 chicks yesterday. They are in a border in the garage and will be staying there for a few weeks. First night went well, chicks did great. My question is do I need to have food in the border at night or will the chicks be fine until morning?

2. burgerusmc

burgerusmc Out Of The Brooder

Jan 4, 2015
    harford county, MD
    I'd keep it in the brooder. That's what I do with my hens incase they need a late night snack

3. azygous

azygous Chicken Obsessed

Dec 11, 2009
    Colorado Rockies
    If you have a heat source for the brooder that also emits light, it will keep the chicks from sleeping all night. This means they will also want to eat as long as they're awake.

I find it advantageous to have a heat source that doesn't emit light, and the chicks thus get a natural break, cutting down on the stress level, which can be considerable in a large brood such as you have. It also serves to get them into a solid day/night pattern early on.

There are alternatives to the traditional heat lamp involving heating pads draped over wire frames to form "chick caves". It sort of replicates a broody hen and the chicks snuggle underneath for warmth, which can get up to 90F inside. There are threads on this forum discussing this method if it sounds interesting to you.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by