First time dealing with impacted crop- advice please!

AandJdill

Chirping
Mar 21, 2021
Flock of 10 hens, all 20 weeks old - 4 laying- one of my laying ladies, Martha Stewart, appears to have an impacted crop. I noticed it yesterday, and checked again this morning and it doesn't appear to have emptied overnight. What measures do I need to take? I see so much conflicting advice. What does putting them in a bath do?? What oils are ok to give? Should I separate her from the flock? Do I need to restrict her food? All help is appreciated!
She seems to be feeling fine, and acting normal, so I'm hoping I caught it early.
Thanks in advance!

This is the article I’ve been following for one of my girls. https://www.backyardchickens.com/ar...w-to-know-which-one-youre-dealing-with.73607/

I give my girl coconut oil. She actually seems to like it and eats it willingly. It’s also the easiest to give. If you give it frozen in small amounts. I just let mine eat it out of a bowl. It doesn’t turn to a liquid right away when removed from the jar and it’s already in a semi solid state.

Flock of 10 hens, all 20 weeks old - 4 laying- one of my laying ladies, Martha Stewart, appears to have an impacted crop. I noticed it yesterday, and checked again this morning and it doesn't appear to have emptied overnight. What measures do I need to take? I see so much conflicting advice. What does putting them in a bath do?? What oils are ok to give? Should I separate her from the flock? Do I need to restrict her food? All help is appreciated!
She seems to be feeling fine, and acting normal, so I'm hoping I caught it early.
Thanks in advance!
I have had luck with olive oil administered slowly with a dropper and gently rubbing the crop. I had a few day old chick that was clearly in distress, after some oil and massage the crop cleared and it passed some large seeds it must have gotten at the hatchery somehow. Your hen is old enough for a warm bath, which will help her relax and relax all her muscles hopefully. Coconut oil chilled so it is hard works great too I have heard, feed it to her in small bits. Massage the crop gently and hopefully it will clear for you. Good luck!

This is the article I’ve been following for one of my girls. https://www.backyardchickens.com/ar...w-to-know-which-one-youre-dealing-with.73607/

I give my girl coconut oil. She actually seems to like it and eats it willingly. It’s also the easiest to give. If you give it frozen in small amounts. I just let mine eat it out of a bowl. It doesn’t turn to a liquid right away when removed from the jar and it’s already in a semi solid state.
Thank you! Just ran and got some coconut oil!

I have had luck with olive oil administered slowly with a dropper and gently rubbing the crop. I had a few day old chick that was clearly in distress, after some oil and massage the crop cleared and it passed some large seeds it must have gotten at the hatchery somehow. Your hen is old enough for a warm bath, which will help her relax and relax all her muscles hopefully. Coconut oil chilled so it is hard works great too I have heard, feed it to her in small bits. Massage the crop gently and hopefully it will clear for you. Good luck!
Thank you so much! We will try the bath. Any advice on soaking an uncooperative chicken? Lol

😆 I would make the water nice and warm, but not too hot. Hold her gently but firmly on both sides and lower her slowly down until its about half up her sides or so. The warmth should relax her. I'd talk softly to her, that might help as well. Good luck!

Back
Top Bottom