First time dealing with sick chicken! Help please!

amberbordelon

In the Brooder
Jun 18, 2022
I have had 6 hens since March 2020 with no issues. Just to answer questions ahead of time- I clean their coop every Monday, I researched on this site so much before getting them & try my best to do everything right. This is the first time I've had a sick hen. This morning I noticed my smallest hen acting weird. I kept a close eye on her all day & just made the decision to put her in a kennel with nothing but bedding & in the A/C. I live in SOUTH Louisiana, we have had 100°+ days already, I give my girls fresh water & scrub their waterers once- twice daily. I also put ice cubes in their water mid day around 2pm, we have had no rain here surprisingly so I also wet their run when it's miserably hot. I also have been giving frozen fruits & veggies. They did get into some hard, long grass a few days ago so she may have an impacted crop?
Anyway, this morning I noticed she separated herself from the flock & she was just laying down. I immediately checked to see if she is egg bound, I didn't feel anything. Her crop feels much larger than normal & like a water balloon & I can still feel some feed in there as well. I read about holding & massaging them, I did that & she spit up some water with some small leaves in it 2 times so far during the massage. She doesn't have any white goop or anything in her mouth & there's not a foul smell coming from it but the spit up definitely stunk. She's closing her eyes alot & holding her mouth open. Her vent felt hot when I put my finger in, & she was also like dancing around when I done it, nothing I have experienced when checking for egg bound hens but I've only been a chicken Mom for 2 years. I checked her temp with a regular thermometer, it read 109°F, which I know is high & I'd be bringing her to the vet if we had one in our city that handles chickens but we do not. The closest is an hr away, which I would bring her to but they are closed until Monday. What could this be? Please help my sick baby!

Attachments

• 20220618_132212.jpg
    20220618_132212.jpg
    630.3 KB · Views: 32
I have had 6 hens since March 2020 with no issues. Just to answer questions ahead of time- I clean their coop every Monday, I researched on this site so much before getting them & try my best to do everything right. This is the first time I've had a sick hen. This morning I noticed my smallest hen acting weird. I kept a close eye on her all day & just made the decision to put her in a kennel with nothing but bedding & in the A/C. I live in SOUTH Louisiana, we have had 100°+ days already, I give my girls fresh water & scrub their waterers once- twice daily. I also put ice cubes in their water mid day around 2pm, we have had no rain here surprisingly so I also wet their run when it's miserably hot. I also have been giving frozen fruits & veggies
Anyway, this morning I noticed she separated herself from the flock & she was just laying down. I immediately checked to see if she is egg bound, I didn't feel anything. Her crop feels much larger than normal & like a water balloon & I can still feel some feed in there as well. I read about holding & massaging them, I did that & she spit up some water with some small leaves in it 2 times so far during the massage. She doesn't have any white goop or anything in her mouth & there's not a foul smell coming from it but the spit up definitely stunk. She's closing her eyes alot & holding her mouth open. Her vent felt hot when I put my finger in, & she was also like dancing around when I done it, nothing I have experienced when checking for egg bound hens but I've only been a chicken Mom for 2 years. I checked her temp with a regular thermometer, it read 109°F, which I know is high & I'd be bringing her to the vet if we had one in our city that handles chickens but we do not. The closest is an hr away, which I would bring her to but they are closed until Monday. What could this be? Please help my sick baby!
Hello! Sorry i wont be of much help but can it be sour crop? If you look on google it will tell you all the symptoms.
Oh and :welcome

Here are some symptoms....
  • squishy, swollen crop.
  • Lethargy.
  • Lack of appetite.
  • Weight loss.
  • Sour, disgusting-smelling breath.
  • Liquid or gas exiting the beak, particularly if you gently touch the crop.
  • White patches in the mouth

I live in Louisiana too so I know how hot it can get. She may just be really hot. Some of my chickens lay down with their mouths open too. Something you can do to prolong the coolness of the water is to freeze water bottles and rotate them in and out of the freezer and into the waterer. I don't think she is sick, but I could be wrong, I think it's just a heat problem.

I live in Louisiana too so I know how hot it can get. She may just be really hot. Some of my chickens lay down with their mouths open too. Something you can do to prolong the coolness of the water is to freeze water bottles and rotate them in and out of the freezer and into the waterer. I don't think she is sick, but I could be wrong, I think it's just a heat problem.
It's not particularly hot today, not the hottest day it's been by any means. The sun isn't out today, it's overcast. I freeze cubes of ice in containers & put them in every day around 2pm, they have adequate shade & ventilation. She hasn't made any progress since being in the A/C for a few hours & overheating wouldn't cause a full water balloon feeling crop I wouldn't think.

I don't know much about crop issues, but I can offer up a suggestion for heat. I used a water mister last summer when Idaho hit record heat. ALL SUMMER long.
Orbit 10360 Flex Cobra Portable Mist Stand (Colors May Vary)
I mist them with the water hose around 2pm every day when I put the ice cubes in their water.. but I will look into getting that to help. Thank you

I would rely on articles and threads you find here about crop issues as opposed to Google. I have seen some really bad advice from unreliable sources using search engines. People here have dealt with issues and given advice that has helped other people deal with the same issues. Its like calling a friend with more first hand experience. Definitely read the recommended articles you have been given here.

Back
Top Bottom