First-time Dog Breeding

zooinmypocket

Songster
5 Years
Aug 21, 2016
California
Hello, I have a pair of Australian Cattle Dogs that I am planning on breeding. I have a slate female, 45 lbs, 1 year old, going into her third heat cycle soon. Her mother had 10 in her litter. I have a red male, 25 lbs, almost 6 months old, who I plan to have as her mate. His mother had 6 in his litter. My plan was to take them in for a pre-breeding check up at the first sign of her heat/or in 2 weeks, whichever happens first. I figured if he wasn't mature enough this cycle then next cycle would work out, but I know I need to plan ahead in case he is mature this cycle. My husband has experience with chihuahua breeding when he was younger, but not medium sized dogs with possibly larger litters than 4. And I have only some experience from when I worked at a vet part time. Tips or advice would be much appreciated. And here's a picture of the pups.

20200913_160003.jpg

Hello, I have a pair of Australian Cattle Dogs that I am planning on breeding. I have a slate female, 45 lbs, 1 year old, going into her third heat cycle soon. Her mother had 10 in her litter. I have a red male, 25 lbs, almost 6 months old, who I plan to have as her mate. His mother had 6 in his litter. My plan was to take them in for a pre-breeding check up at the first sign of her heat/or in 2 weeks, whichever happens first. I figured if he wasn't mature enough this cycle then next cycle would work out, but I know I need to plan ahead in case he is mature this cycle. My husband has experience with chihuahua breeding when he was younger, but not medium sized dogs with possibly larger litters than 4. And I have only some experience from when I worked at a vet part time. Tips or advice would be much appreciated. And here's a picture of the pups.

View attachment 2390635

Nice looking doggies!

You will probably get pounced by the pro spay and neuter folks. Don't let it get to you.

While I do have mine fixed if it weren't for someone breeding the parents (on purpose or accidental) I wouldn't have mine.

I hope for a good outcome for your doggies and you.

It sounds like they are nice tempered sweet dogs.

Nice looking doggies!

You will probably get pounced by the pro spay and neuter folks. Don't let it get to you.

While I do have mine fixed if it weren't for someone breeding the parents (on purpose or accidental) I wouldn't have mine.

I hope for a good outcome for your doggies and you.

It sounds like they are nice tempered sweet dogs.

I know, I am pro spay and neuter normally. I have my cats fixed and all previous dogs. But now I am in a good space with lots of time and attention available, my husband and I work from home (not due to covid so it won't change later) so tending to everyone won't be a problem. I am also planning on having the male neutered once she is confirmed pregnant, and the female will be spayed if she has any complications during pregnancy/birth.

I’m doing the same with two of my Great Danes, where we will be breeding next cycle, but they are both 3 and 5. I don’t know much about cattle dogs, but don’t they seem a bit young? I’m just curious and not trying to get on any bodies nerve

That's what I was trying to get advice on. I have been trying to do research online, most sites say the 3rd cycle is the first one you can try without damage, it did say some people prefer to wait for the fourth, which is why I was ok with the male not being mature enough this cycle, but he is attempting to mount her during play-fighting. She stopped growing 6 months ago, she will be 2 in January.

I know, I am pro spay and neuter normally. I have my cats fixed and all previous dogs. But now I am in a good space with lots of time and attention available, my husband and I work from home (not due to covid so it won't change later) so tending to everyone won't be a problem. I am also planning on having the male neutered once she is confirmed pregnant, and the female will be spayed if she has any complications during pregnancy/birth.

Straight up it sounds like you are in a good place to be able to be there for all the what ifs.
Your girl looks very healthy. Most litters are born without complications (certain breeds can have issues every litter). I think all will be well especially since you will have vet care during it all.

I dog sat for our bloodhounds breeder several times while the pups were tiny. It was nuts lol. But then there were 2 litters of 12 each and 5 adult dogs.
Our pup just turned 1 in August. The breeder retained breeding rights if we chose not to spay. Yeah....we did the spay.

I’m doing the same with two of my Great Danes, where we will be breeding next cycle, but they are both 3 and 5. I don’t know much about cattle dogs, but don’t they seem a bit young? I’m just curious and not trying to get on any bodies nerve

But I do believe that Great Danes take longer to physically mature and even go into heat. She had her first heat at 8 months, had a second heat during spring around the time she stopped putting on height and filled out her last 5 pounds

Back
Top Bottom