First time ever... began Tuesday Feb - 9

Jasont

In the Brooder
10 Years
Jan 20, 2010
Malvern
I have never done this before... I began today with 29 Pearl White Leghorns, 3 RIRs, and 1 Cuckoo Maran... The temp is a steady 100 degrees, the egg turner is on "go" and the water reservoir is filled to the desired level. I have read everything i could find so now I just sit back and wait... 21 days... Wish me luck...

No. dont wait 21 days! Wait 18 days and then remove the turner, increase the humidity and then sit back and wait 3 more days for your little chickies to come out! I know it will be hard and most everybody is impatient especially with their first several hatches but on day 18-22 try not to open the lid. It will decrease the humidity and greatly reduce your chances of a ssuccessful hatch.

ETA ---GOOD LUCK
jumpy.gif

Last edited:
Quote:
if you can sit back and wait 21 days you are much less obsessive compulsive than I. I check the temp everytime I walk by. Not just in one thermometer. But 3. One measuring the inside air. One measuring humidity, inside air and the temp inside a wiggler. The third is a brinsea spot check just to make sure the other two aren't lying to me. Then I have to check to make sure the turner is turning. Check the humidity. Add water. Open vents. Close vents. I'm exhausted by the end of day one.

I started 11 black and blue copper marans and 10 Easter egger eggs on the sixth. I'm going to add 60 coturnix eggs tonight. Should have lots of hatching going on the 27th if I survive that long

Last edited:
They seem to be doing well so far. I took one out and candled it and I suppose it looks good, compared to pics I have seen on their progression. I do have a question. I only have one thermometer, do I need multiple ones? And what is a wiggler? May be a stupid question And you all are laughing at me now, but did not know. Ha

Back
Top Bottom