First time flock raiser coming in March... yikes!

Jake H

In the Brooder
Jan 23, 2018
Baltimore County, MD
Hi All, My name is Jake and I just recently moved to Baltimore County, MD. My wife and two little girls (3.5 years and 8 months) decided we want to start our own little flock in our backyard for eggs. Neither my wife or I, or our girls for that matter, have ever owned chickens or have any experience with it. I've been doing a lot of research but I've found if I read long enough sometimes I'm more confused then when I started! I'm going to build the coop myself and have a little bit of woodworking experience, but I've never built a structure before (just furniture). So, if anyone has any advice/tips on what kind of chickens you'd recommend, what type of coop that works best (and ideally detailed plans on how to build), winning/losing strategies, etc. etc. I'm sure there are things I've never even thought of, please let me know. Thanks in advance to everyone, I've already been a part of a thread that immediately proved very helpful so I'm already thankful to be a part of BYC!

Hello Jake and welcome to BYC!! It’s so nice to have you join us! welcome.gif

This video may help with learning how to navigate the new site.

If you have any questions, please don’t hesitate to ask one of us. :)

Welcome to BYC! It's so much fun having your own chickens and I'm glad to share the best kind of chickens you can own for your small family!

*Buff Orpingtons
Sweet chicken that's a good layer of brown eggs.
*Barred Rocks/Plymouth Rocks
A kind breed that lays large brown eggs and is very docile.
*Cochins
One of the more fun breeds to own, Cochins are feather-footed sweet hearts that will give variety to your flock!
*Leghorns
A more skiddish breed that lays a lot of white eggs.
*Easter Eggers
These are a breed of chicken that lay blue, green, or pink-ish eggs. They can come in many colors and many sizes. Some have muffs, or what I like to call beards, and some don't.

I hope you enjoy raising your own chickens! :wee

Hello and welcome to the BYC! Since you have little ones I might suggest you try some Easter eggers as your breed of choice. They are real good layers and it will be like an Easter egg hunt for your little ones as they grow up. The eggs will vary in color and the kids will enjoy gathering them. I am partial to this breed myself due to all their character. Good luck! Once again Welcome!

Back
Top Bottom