First time free ranging

tls_ranch

Stares at Chickens
10 Years
May 6, 2009
Northern California
My Coop
My Coop
Violet my EE decided to make a break for it and fly over the 6' fence. So, I decided to let the whole flock out. THEY loved it...me not so much because I'm a nervous wreck about hawks, coyotes, possible neigbor's dogs and even my dogs as labs are bird dogs by instinct. Here's some shots of a few of my Barnevelders.

30473_chickens_210.jpg

30473_chickens_213.jpg

30473_chickens_215.jpg

Here's Violet being a trouble maker again trying to steal Eva's pink chew toy.

30473_chickens_203.jpg

Beautiful birds!
Every once in awhile my DH talks about penning my birds up. Free ranging is all they've ever known and they will be free ranging until the day they die.
They love it and IMO are healthier.

Gorgeous chickies! I agree with Gritsar, I wish we had enough room to let ours free range all day long and sleep in the coop at night. I believe it is healthier for them too, not to mention the eggs are awesome!! Coop eggs are great, but free range
droolin.gif
Your girls look like they're enjoying their newfound freedom!
lol.png

Thanks!
big_smile.png
I'm just really overly protective because I only have 7 barnie pullets and one roo. So, If I loose even one it'll be a big loss to my little flock. The pullet in the 2nd picture was the first to lay of her flock mates, a little lighter color of egg than I would like. But, she lays every other day and sometimes more. The 3rd pic is of a pullet that was the 3rd out of 7 to lay so far. She lays the darkest egg so far. I don't have them on added light so I'm just happy I'm getting eggs
smile.png
Violet does lay a pretty green egg everyday, so I'll cut her some slack for being such a trouble maker. Escaping, teasing the dogs, and hoging the favorite nest box for hours everyday.

A cheese stick was all it took to get them back in. Although I almost lost a finger or two in the process
duc.gif

Quote:
I hear you!! I have five, so I know it would hurt if something happened to one of them... Mine aren't quite ten weeks yet. They think they are free ranging when I let them out of their run into a little area I've fenced off for them...lol. I will be allowing them supervised free ranging beginning in early spring, when they're grown-up birds. I'm still debating whether to take in a roo at that time or not... Once again, you have a lovely little flock!
smile.png
May you enjoy them for years to come!

I have 7 so yes - losing even 1 would hurt - BUT - mine free range everyday and I worry, but I feel like allowing them to be chickens and do what chickens do everyday gives them a happy life. If I lose one in the process then so be it. At least I know they have the life God intended them to have. Laws of nature can be heartbreaking, but locking the girls up all day is too. Just my take on free ranging.... May your beautiful girls be safe and happy
smile.png

I hope they will be fine too. We are going to build them a pen that will be about 10' x16' with a covered area that will be 8 ft x 6 ft in addition to their coop. My husband even built me a automatic door with a timer and solar panel charger. I hope I can keep them safe and let them free range a bit everyday. One or two to a hawk or wild predator every once in a while won't be so bad, but IF I lost them all to rampaging dogs I would have a hard time...
sad.png

They're lovely! I love the coloring. Your lab is a cutie too...I wish I could leave my dogs free while the chickens are out, but that wouldn't go too well.
roll.png

Back
Top Bottom