First time gosling owner! I have questions!

LadyWolf44005

Chirping
Apr 26, 2020
First off thank you so much for clicking this post! An hopefully answering or/and offering any advise you have! I have bad spelling. Spell check never works for me. Just stick with me! Let me begin to explain were I am at before I ask my questions. I have purchased two Male Tufted Roman goslings from a hatchery. As of right now they are only a few days old. This is the first time I have ever bought goslings so everything is new to me. Before geting them I did a LOT of research and bought books on geese. However I think I read to much becouse now I dont know what to follow, plus some of my other questions were never answered. After stressing my self out, I told myself "learn as I go" Now I just have more questions. (As you can see I am a over thinker)

:Questions:
1. I have mainly bought these guys mainly to be gaurd geese to our new chicks. How do you integrate the two?

2. I have heard that they can not be both pets and gaurd geese. Is this true?

3.inprinting. I have heard and read that the more you spend time with them the more they will inprint on you. However that will make them more aggressive when adults. But I have also heard that in vis versa. What one is more true?

4. Was it wrong to buy two Males? Pros and cons of haveing two males

5.i have nodiest that when I hold them they bite/peck me or clothing that i am wearing. I have also seen them do it to each other to. Are they exploring? Or are the telling me I am at the bottom of the pecking order? What is this? It does not hurt but when they get teeth I would imagine I do not want them doing that. If it is bad behavior how do I correct this?

6. Any book is you recommend?

Again thank you for your time! I will add more questions as they come up. Hope to hear your opions and advise! Have a wonderful day!

1. You'll want to introduce them when the goslings are a bit older so the chickens don't bully them. As with all introductions, the 'look but don't touch' method where they can see each other but not get to each other is a safe bet.

2. Not really. Guard geese aren't really a thing, anyway. Geese won't chase down and attack predators or anything like that. They will alert if they see something, so the chickens can run to hide, and so you can come out to intervene if you hear the alert. Their larger size may act as a deterrent to some smaller predators like hawks. And that's about it.

3. Imprinted male geese are sometimes more aggressive towards humans during breeding season than they would be otherwise, because they can tend to view you as a rival or possibly a mate.

4. Personally I would have gone with a male and a female or two females. There's not really an upside to having two males, but there are downsides. Males are the more aggressive of the two sexes, especially during breeding season. And with no girls, it's always possible they may turn their amorous attentions to your chickens - which can be fatal or injure them.

5. They're just chewing on things. That's what baby geese do :) If you don't want them chewing on you, just move away when they try to do it.

1. You'll want to introduce them when the goslings are a bit older so the chickens don't bully them. As with all introductions, the 'look but don't touch' method where they can see each other but not get to each other is a safe bet.

2. Not really. Guard geese aren't really a thing, anyway. Geese won't chase down and attack predators or anything like that. They will alert if they see something, so the chickens can run to hide, and so you can come out to intervene if you hear the alert. Their larger size may act as a deterrent to some smaller predators like hawks. And that's about it.

3. Imprinted male geese are sometimes more aggressive towards humans during breeding season than they would be otherwise, because they can tend to view you as a rival or possibly a mate.

4. Personally I would have gone with a male and a female or two females. There's not really an upside to having two males, but there are downsides. Males are the more aggressive of the two sexes, especially during breeding season. And with no girls, it's always possible they may turn their amorous attentions to your chickens - which can be fatal or injure them.

5. They're just chewing on things. That's what baby geese do :) If you don't want them chewing on you, just move away when they try to do it.
Thank you for responding!

Back
Top Bottom