First Time Hatch Blog *Chicks!*

Lockdown begins today! Eggs are set to hatch on 1/20.

Of the 14 eggs I set in the bator all but 4 went into lockdown this am.

The 4 I pulled out candled clear.

And the waiting begins....
fl.gif

My first batch of hatching eggs are OFFICIALLY in the mail and on their way!!!
celebrate.gif
I ordered some BEAUTIFUL SILKIES from Jen(sassysilkies.com)
wee.gif
ya.gif
:weee Can't wait to meet out new babies!
jumpy.gif
Blessings,Keri

All are still quiet. We've been peeking alot. I am so glad my bator has big windows.

Yesterday the humidity was steady at about 59%. Today it is down to 55%. Should I be concerned? When they went into lockdown I put a foam mushroom container from the grocery store in filled about 1" with water and a clean washcloth to soak up and add more surface area for evaporation. I can still see water pooling in the container. Should I open to add more?

Last edited:
I wouldn't open it. Set your bator on something (I used a rubbermaid lid) to catch any water that runs out the bottom vent holes. If you have a big turkey injector syringe or something like it, load it up with HOT water and poke it through one of the vent holes on the top to squirt onto your washcloth. That will give a quick rise in your humidity. I even used a bendy straw to reach various sponges inside the bator.

I use the same bator as you. This time, I added pc fans that I wired to old cell phone chargers and it REALLY helps keeping the temps and humidity up. If you can do that before your next hatch, I would recommend it. Something else I have done on this current hatch is laying sponges in the bators. A couple times a day, I will change them out with fresh hot ones. During my lockdown, I will use my turkey syringe to rewet them again.

I have same set up. mine go in in the morning. I got temp zero'd in and humidity up. Eggs should be here in mail today. They BETTER BE!!! They was posed to be here thursday. But stupid Post office!!!! I just hope it hasn't been too long or ruff on them. Wish me luck. Good luck on yours!!!

Back
Top Bottom