First time hatcher šŸ˜¬

kiddynurse

Hatching
May 18, 2020
I have been caring for 3 duck eggs (I think they are Khaki Campbells) since 4/20. I made a home made incubator with a huggies diaper box, some clear vinyl, some ice trays, a plastic lid, and a 40 watt light bulb. I candled my eggs several time through out and all had veins, movement, and air sacks. On day 25 I didn't see a whole lot of movement but went a head and locked down. I've struggled keeping the humidity up. It's been about 45-63 the entire time. Today is day 28 and I do see some fluttering in one of the eggs. I really don't have a good view of the other 2. The air sack on the fluttering one has also grown quite a bit. I'm super nervous! We've already named all three and I'm praying they all hatch!! The air sacks on the other 2 seem a bit smaller.

Thank you!! This is an excellent guide!! I think what I am seeing at this point is shadowing. I am super excited!! Unfortunately patience is NOT one of my biggest virtues...šŸ˜¬

I've finally gotten the humidity to stabilize from about 63-67. I ended up adding another small bowl of water and a soaking wet sponge. I have continued adding water with IV bag tubing (I am a nurse :D) through a small hole. I am so excited!!

A tip for next time, I'm on day 27 on my duck egg hatch and I have a constant humidity around 65 because we put a rag in the bottom of the incubator and poured some water on top. I've also heard of people putting wet sponges in the bottom. Good luck with your hatch!šŸ˜Š

Thank you!! This is an excellent guide!! I think what I am seeing at this point is shadowing. I am super excited!! Unfortunately patience is NOT one of my biggest virtues...šŸ˜¬

At this stage of incubation you'd be hard pressed to remain patient. It's very exciting, and very stressful, and you'll want to do it all over again, despite all of the angst.

so it looks like weezer (1 of our three eggs) has poked through the membrane. I see alot of movement...sometimes something (I'm guessing his/her beak) gets super close to the top as if to try and pip...That just stared today...

I
Screenshot_20200523-000113.png

Back
Top Bottom