First time hatcher help!

Beau Garden

In the Brooder
Feb 16, 2016
Ballston Lake, NY
This is my first hatch batch. I tried candling but considering it was my first attempt I was too scared to throw any out. There hasn't been a smell but I'm now on day 23 of incubating and I haven't seen anything happening yet. How much longer should I wait and if they are bad would they have started to smell by now?

Leave them in for another day. Did the incubater tempature stay the same the whole time? I lost my first batch on lockdown due to the tempature jumping :(

Leave them in for at least another day.

We've had eggs hatch from day 19 to 25. Sometimes they even vary from the same days collection as they went into the incubator.

We also don't candle until day 18, before lockdown. It's either going full term, or not, so why mess with them ahead of time? Besides, our RIR eggs are painful to candle and I'd rather do light vs dark at day 18 than toss someone out who was perfectly viable.

Never had anything smell, but always keeping a nose out for it. We don't remove the bloom (wash) but will gently remove poo and such as much as possible before incubating. We collect our eggs at least twice a day and they are typically as clean as washed eggs, so no need for washing. Thinking about it, I've never got a bad smell from any eggtopsies, even no hatchers after day 25.

Your mileage may vary, but this works for us. Good luck.

We've had eggs hatch from day 19 to 25.  Sometimes they even vary from the same days collection as they went into the incubator.

We also don't candle until day 18, before lockdown.  It's either going full term, or not, so why mess with them ahead of time?  Besides, our RIR eggs are painful to candle and I'd rather do light vs dark at day 18 than toss someone out who was perfectly viable.

Never had anything smell, but always keeping a nose out for it.  We don't remove the bloom (wash) but will gently remove poo and such as much as possible before incubating.  We collect our eggs at least twice a day and they are typically as clean as washed eggs, so no need for washing.  Thinking about it, I've never got a bad smell from any eggtopsies, even no hatchers after day 25.   

Your mileage may vary, but this works for us.  Good luck.
zb

I candled at day 13 but didn't know what i was suppose to be seeing and i was too scared to throw out a good one so i left them all. I candled again at 18 but they all looked about the same as before. At that point i added humidity but there is nothing going on at all and today is 24. Im thinking of leaving them a few more days but I'm losing hope.

We've had eggs hatch from day 19 to 25. Sometimes they even vary from the same days collection as they went into the incubator.

We also don't candle until day 18, before lockdown. It's either going full term, or not, so why mess with them ahead of time? Besides, our RIR eggs are painful to candle and I'd rather do light vs dark at day 18 than toss someone out who was perfectly viable.

Never had anything smell, but always keeping a nose out for it. We don't remove the bloom (wash) but will gently remove poo and such as much as possible before incubating. We collect our eggs at least twice a day and they are typically as clean as washed eggs, so no need for washing. Thinking about it, I've never got a bad smell from any eggtopsies, even no hatchers after day 25.

Your mileage may vary, but this works for us. Good luck.
I've only ever had one egg smell during incubation and it was nasty when taken out and cracked. I had one that almost exploded in the bator, thankfully the membrane was tough and only the egg shell popped. That had no smell until it was opened and it was more of a sour smell than a rotten smell.
I'm a candling addict, normally, The hatch I am on now is the first one I haven't candled daily. I only toss early quitters and blood rings. After day 10 I seldom remove anything because it's harder to tell. If it doesn't stink or leak, it stays in. The latest I've had a chick hatch and survive is day 24 and he ended up having leg problems later on, but that was due to a faulty thermometer and too high humidity my very first hatch.

Back
Top Bottom