First time hatcher, now in lockdown!

All of my chicks (21) hatched on day 19. There were pips late on day 18. I did set my eggs at about 9pm initially tho. I’d say maybe open the eggs on day 20 to try to figure out where they went wrong, if I were to guess, since they went well for so long, your humidity at lockdown might have been poor. But if there was no draw down, I’m not sure what to tell you because I feel like you would see less fluid if your humidity was too low, but I’m no expert. I’m crossing my fingers that maybe some might hatch.

@mdees88 Awesome, just ordered. And it does look easy. Thank you!

@FloorCandy I have a feeling you're right about the humidity, since it's the only variable that has changed, and I just couldn't control it as much as the temperature, positioning, turning, etc. Or could be the quality of the eggs too. :confused: I appreciate the good juju. Currently in the middle of day 19!

YOU GUYS WERE RIGHT.

5 chicks hatched very early this morning (day 21). I candled yesterday and noticed the air sack drawing down. External pips came in the evening. Then they started zipping one by one! There are two more eggs in the bator that haven't really done anything, but I'll keep the incubator on til day 24 just in case. Once I get some good pics I'll post some for you guys! I so appreciate all the helpful advice and comments, so thank you all for keeping me company during this hatch.

So, here's the final breakdown of my supermarket quail egg experiment:

Started off with 20 eggs, bought two 10-packs for less than $2 each.
I ate 2 (lol) which makes 18.
9 infertile.
2 early quitters.
5 hatched on day 21.
...and 2 still incubating!

I'm EXHAUSTED btw!

Congratulations!
HappyHearts.gif

They are so cute! So tiny, mine are almost 2 weeks and I miss the sweet little balls of fluff. It’s good you only have a few, they can get really attached to you. In the future I’ll try to hatch 5 or less so they can all get attention, with 19, only my few favorites get enough cuddles.

They are so cute! So tiny, mine are almost 2 weeks and I miss the sweet little balls of fluff. It’s good you only have a few, they can get really attached to you. In the future I’ll try to hatch 5 or less so they can all get attention, with 19, only my few favorites get enough cuddles.

I totally know what you mean now! I knew they were cute but had no idea how much until they popped out and fluffed up. I'm soaking up as much baby time as I can while they're still teeny 🥰

Back
Top Bottom