First time hatchers hatch A-long!

Pics
Another question from me lol! :frow
So I have a ramekin in the incubator to hold water for humidity. Its one of the wide, short round ones. I liked it because it seemed to be a good option for surface area. Better than any of the containers I had available.
But, I've already had to open the bator to fish Early bird, (thats the first babies name) out of it once, since the sides aren't that high. Now I'm really concerned she's gonna crawl in there again tonight. Then I won't be here to get her out, and things could get bad. I really don't want to open the incubator again, I already have a few times. What should I do? I really don't want to risk it.
I had some in my incubator too. I ended up sticking pieces of wet sponge in them for that reason. Right now I have 14 hatched with one that passed away in the shell and another that likely will too.😢

I had some in my incubator too. I ended up sticking pieces of wet sponge in them for that reason. Right now I have 14 hatched with one that passed away in the shell and another that likely will too.😢
I'm sorry, maybe the other will pull though. At least you have 14 though, thats still really good!
I'm basically counting on these eggs shrink wrapping at this point. I've opened the bator about 5 times, one to fish Early bird out of the ramekin, another to get the thermometer probe out of the ramekin, again to move Early bird way from the wall so she wasn't banging against it, and lastly to help Early bird back onto her feet because she was stuck on her back up against an egg. I'm preparing to help the rest hatch if I get the opportunity to. Darn!

I am hatching some quail as my very first attempt at incubating eggs...they went into lockdown on Monday and I counted three tiny eggs with pips! I’m super nervous and hoping they’re able to hatch! I’m not a patient person and this waiting game is just plain painful! 🙃 Their due to hatch tomorrow, so fingers crossed! 😁

I'm sorry, maybe the other will pull though. At least you have 14 though, thats still really good!
I'm basically counting on these eggs shrink wrapping at this point. I've opened the bator about 5 times, one to fish Early bird out of the ramekin, another to get the thermometer probe out of the ramekin, again to move Early bird way from the wall so she wasn't banging against it, and lastly to help Early bird back onto her feet because she was stuck on her back up against an egg. I'm preparing to help the rest hatch if I get the opportunity to. Darn!
How is your humidity doing? I bet most are doing okay as long as it wasn’t open for a super long time! Fingers crossed!

I wouldn’t worry to much about them getting stuck in odd positions. Sometimes they just need to rest for awhile and then they scramble back up or out. Since mine are in egg cartoons they’ve been climbing over and around all the other eggs and taking naps in the extra spaces in the egg carton.

How is your humidity doing? I bet most are doing okay as long as it wasn’t open for a super long time! Fingers crossed!
Thank you! It wasn't open long at all, and the humidity came back up in about a minute. Its been holding between 70-75% for the most part. I'm just preparing myself to help just in case, I may be overeacting on how likely it is they will shrink-warp though. Hatching is so stressful!

I wouldn’t worry to much about them getting stuck in odd positions. Sometimes they just need to rest for awhile and then they scramble back up or out. Since mine are in egg cartoons they’ve been climbing over and around all the other eggs and taking naps in the extra spaces in the egg carton.
Thank you! Its so difficult not to worry hahah!

Thank you! It wasn't open long at all, and the humidity came back up in about a minute. Its been holding between 70-75% for the most part. I'm just preparing myself to help just in case, I may be overeacting on how likely it is they will shrink-warp though. Hatching is so stressful!
Hatching is super stressful!! I'm sure your babies are okay then!

My first quail just poked a big enough hole I can see his tiny little beak trying to breathe and peeping and it is taking all my will power not to open the incubator and help him! I have no idea how long it takes them to hatch once they have a decent hole but it feels SOO long right now! I've also only seen a couple others with pip marks, so I'm worrying that the rest are duds...ack. I had no idea this would be so stressful, haha!

I’ve got 24 chicks now! Including one that I had assist but it’s doing just fine. I did lose one though. It’s hatchmates kicked it over mid zip with the zip facing down and it got stuck. Still waiting on the last 6 one of them didn’t pip until 4am So I imagine it will be awhile before I’m done. I don’t think I want to do this many again at one time if I choose to hatch again.

I’ve got 24 chicks now! Including one that I had assist but it’s doing just fine. I did lose one though. It’s hatchmates kicked it over mid zip with the zip facing down and it got stuck. Still waiting on the last 6 one of them didn’t pip until 4am So I imagine it will be awhile before I’m done. I don’t think I want to do this many again at one time if I choose to hatch again.
How long has this process taken for you? I am trying hard to be patient and not worry that only 3 have pipped, but I am not at all sure how long they take to hatch once they have a good sized hole? Today is day 17, which is the day they are supposed to start hatching so some are right on target, but others not so much. I know they had a slowish start, as it took me a couple days to get the temperatures stable at 100.5, but I have no idea how to gauge any of it! :)

Back
Top Bottom