First time hatching - -advice?

msfrecks

In the Brooder
5 Years
Apr 17, 2014
Kingfisher, Oklahoma
One of our hens is very broody. We have three hens, and frequently find her sitting on three eggs. My kids feel bad for taking the eggs from her (we don't have a rooster), so I decided to get some fertilized eggs and see what happens. I got the Brinsea Mini Advance incubator also. I thought I'd put seven in the incubator and give the other to the hen. Since it's her first time and I don't know how she'll do, I'm planning to keep her in a large (XL?) dog crate in the garage, with a nesting box and food and water. Am I doing that right? Any suggestions are appreciated!!

I don't think she will be happy away from the other hens, lonely, out of anything natural but im only going on a haunch not really experience. The chicks...if she accepts new babies, sounds like it will just depend on her mood at the time. I think if I were to put a new chick with an older one I'd make sure they were good and dry and not wobbly first.

I put my broody in a dog carrier as well, but I left the carrier in the chicken coop so she was still around the flock. Once a day I took her out of the carrier and she spent a few minutes in the yard to go to the bathroom, dust bathe eat and drink, before heading back to the carrier.

Once you remove a hen from the flock for a period of time, she loses her status with the flock and will likely be picked on for a while when you go to re-integrate her.

Last edited:
I don't think she will be happy away from the other hens, lonely, out of anything natural but im only going on a haunch not really experience. The chicks...if she accepts new babies, sounds like it will just depend on her mood at the time. I think if I were to put a new chick with an older one I'd make sure they were good and dry and not wobbly first.
I didn't think of that. She was our only chicken for six months or so until I added three more just a month ago. She's "in charge" now and the other girls understand that. I'd hate to pull her out and have them be mean to her once I put her back in. Oh -- it's just like being a mom to humans. We want to do what's best for them, but really don't know what IS best!

I put my broody in a dog carrier as well, but I left the carrier in the chicken coop so she was still around the flock. Once a day I took her out of the carrier and she spent a few minutes in the yard to go to the bathroom, dust bathe eat and drink, before heading back to the carrier.

Once you remove a hen from the flock for a period of time, she loses her status with the flock and will likely be picked on for a while when you go to re-integrate her.
Thanks!! I may try that instead!

Back
Top Bottom