First time hatching and Murphy's Law seems to be in full effect

I found it. With the discoloration of fluids and the smell, I'd say that there's a good chance it could have been a bacterial infection. A good share of the time I think that the smell is caused by bacteria.
I need to research on decomposition of chick embryos in the shell, because that is one area I am not versed in. I'm not sure what kind of rate for decomp occurs within the shell.

I am proud of you!!! That is an awesome undertaking, IMHO. I would like to know what to look for and how to eggtopsie!
The "how to" is not hard. (Providing you are not squeamish.) I always start my eggtopsies by tapping a hole in the air cell of the egg to make sure there is no sign of life that I have missed during candling. Then I preceed by using tweezers to chip away the egg working down until I can get the chick out. (At least if they are full term.) If it's an early quitter, I just crack the egg normally over a container and hold my breath.

I found it. With the discoloration of fluids and the smell, I'd say that there's a good chance it could have been a bacterial infection. A good share of the time I think that the smell is caused by bacteria.
I need to research on decomposition of chick embryos in the shell, because that is one area I am not versed in. I'm not sure what kind of rate for decomp occurs within the shell.

I knew it had quit, but my husband was holding out on tossing it, so it sat alone in the incubator for a few days after it was already gone. The smell was bad, but not overwhelmingly strong. The incubator was new and the eggs were shipped. I hand turned the eggs, but I was vigilant about washing my hands before touching the eggs. I'm not sure exactly how an egg can get an infection, but I would like to know so that I can learn and take steps to possibly prevent it from happening again in the future. Thank you for taking a look for me. Very much appreciated.

I am proud of you!!! That is an awesome undertaking, IMHO. I would like to know what to look for and how to eggtopsie!

It wasn't as bad as I thought it would be. I'm not very squeamish and I love the whole learning experience, even the not so pleasant parts. I'm fascinated by the whole process. Not going to lie though; I was a little sad. He looked like he would've been so pretty. :(

I knew it had quit, but my husband was holding out on tossing it, so it sat alone in the incubator for a few days after it was already gone. The smell was bad, but not overwhelmingly strong. The incubator was new and the eggs were shipped. I hand turned the eggs, but I was vigilant about washing my hands before touching the eggs. I'm not sure exactly how an egg can get an infection, but I would like to know so that I can learn and take steps to possibly prevent it from happening again in the future. Thank you for taking a look for me. Very much appreciated.
Bacteria gets in through the egg shell. Of course the more you handle theoretically the more chance there is of transfering bacteria to egg. I would think the more porous an egg shell, the greater chance of bacteria gettig in, but I don't know that as fact.

It wasn't as bad as I thought it would be. I'm not very squeamish and I love the whole learning experience, even the not so pleasant parts. I'm fascinated by the whole process. Not going to lie though; I was a little sad. He looked like he would've been so pretty.
sad.png
I find it fascinating. Sad, yes, but I am a very curious person too. My next to the last hatch I did I had two silkie eggs that didn't hatch, and I did the eggtopsies and one of them was a black silkie. Made it that much harder cause I wanted a black to add to my whites. Both of them were fully formed and died between day 19 and the end of day 20. They were completely and utterly shrink wrapped in the shell. After lockdown the air cell drew down way too much. If you've ever seen those commercials for that thing that sucks the air out of the freezer bags to freeze things. Well that's what they looked like.

SOOOOOO excited!!!!!!!!! I was piddling around with the incubators and heard a peep!!  I looked at the eggs in the 130-degree mess and one of them has an external pip! The picture thinghy won't work for me this morning, but I have a picture to share when it does start working for you guys. 

Oh my gosh!!!! I would have tossed the eggs. I'm so glad you didn't! This is amazing! I'm so happy for you! Congrats! Keep us posted!

Back
Top Bottom