First time hatching and Murphy's Law seems to be in full effect

You should stay in your comfort level and if that's letting them be, then that's what you should do. I don't let mine go over 24 hours w/o at least widening the pip hole and checking position to make sure they aren't positioned where they can't finish. My second hatch I had a malepositioned chick. When I widend the pip hole around 18 hours in I was met with little toes waving at me from atop the beak...lol I knew then she wasn't getting out w/o help. She's almost a year old now and one of my best layers.

I'm afraid that I won't know what I'm looking at. I opened the one that had definitely drowned already, and I couldn't tell what belonged where until I opened the inner membrane. IF I do peek... Do I chip away a little shell at the crack and poke open the white membrane? They're all close to the air cell rather than the middle. Also, today is day 20; they pipped really late on day 19. I was hearing random peeps throughout the day, but I don't know by whom.

I'm afraid that I won't know what I'm looking at. I opened the one that had definitely drowned already, and I couldn't tell what belonged where until I opened the inner membrane. IF I do peek... Do I chip away a little shell at the crack and poke open the white membrane? They're all close to the air cell rather than the middle. Also, today is day 20; they pipped really late on day 19. I was hearing random peeps throughout the day, but I don't know by whom.
Usually I either use my finger nail or tweezers to pick off the broken shell and I use tweezers to pull the membrane open (as long as there's no veining which if they are in the air cell there shouldn't be. I usually chip a little shell away from the pip and make sure the beak and head are clear.

This guy has a foot in his eye. His efforts are useless, but there's blood vessels. My humidity is pretty high. What do I do. I feel like if I don't help he will get stuck or shrink wrapped, if I do help he will bleed. He's okay now, but what next?

This guy has a foot in his eye. His efforts are useless, but there's blood vessels. My humidity is pretty high. What do I do. I feel like if I don't help he will get stuck or shrink wrapped, if I do help he will bleed. He's okay now, but what next?
Gosh N, I wish I knew I would sure tell you but I do not have a clue. I would use tweezers and break away around the head so I knew he could breath. I would do a tiny bit and go sit down and make myself wait 30 minutes before I went back so I could go slow. I sure do hope Amy sees this soon!

Keep the membranes moistened. (I always use a q-tip with some water.) I also- when I am assisting wet a paper towel and when I put the egg back in wrap the paper towel around the back of the egg (not covering the hole/pip). Then in an hour or so, try to remove a bit more of the shell as though you were "unzipping" or zipping for him. If you get significant veining or bleeding, moisten the membrane again and put him back in to give him more time. This process can take a while, but if you give them the time they need and keep their membranes moist, they have a great chance of making it and being healthy strong birds (unless there is something more wrong than you can see.) Once you start an assist like this though, make sure you keep that membrane moist and keep an eye on it because once there's that much exposed membrane it can dry no matter how well your humidity is holding up in the bator. Good luck and I hope to hear some good news soon!

Last edited:

Well, I did chip away the shell and pull back the outer membrane with no problems; I was able to pull the inner one away from his nostrils, but it started to bleed a tiny bit, so I stopped, wet it and put him back. He looks to be okay. Chirping and everything, but idk what happens next.

Well, I did chip away the shell and pull back the outer membrane with no problems; I was able to pull the inner one away from his nostrils, but it started to bleed a tiny bit, so I stopped, wet it and put him back. He looks to be okay. Chirping and everything, but idk what happens next.
You're doing great. Just keep doing what you are doing until you can get enough shell loosened so he can get his foot moved and he might even be able to get it in a position he can push himself. If not, you can finish it for him and help him out. A tiny bit of blood is to be expeted. I've never done an assist with absolutely no spots of blood here or there. It's the thicker, more prominent veining that will cause the big problems and the bleed outs. If you have bacitracin, you can rub a little of that on the membrane to keep it moistened. I, personally have never used it, but many others have. If when you are finally able to free him from the shell you might find small remanents of the "cord" still attatched. If it seperates itself, no problem, if there's a bit of bleeding just hold a wet q-tip to the "navel" till it stops, but if the cord is firmly attached still don't pull it. IF you must tie it off and cut it, but don't pull it away from the navel. Also if you see any unabsorbed yolk-stop and put the egg back in and waitt for the yolk to absorb before going further. It's much harder to keep the chick from rupturing the yolk once it's out of the shell. If it happens and the chick gets out w/yolk still unabsorbed place it in a small container with a damp paper towel in the bottom and if you can place it back in the bator and give it time to absorb. I think I touched on all the scenerios I can think of....

Keep the membranes moistened. (I always use a q-tip with some water.) I also- when I am assisting wet a paper towel and when I put the egg back in wrap the paper towel around the back of the egg (not covering the hole/pip). Then in an hour or so, try to remove a bit more of the shell as though you were "unzipping" or zipping for him. If you get significant veining or bleeding, moisten the membrane again and put him back in to give him more time. This process can take a while, but if you give them the time they need and keep their membranes moist, they have a great chance of making it and being healthy strong birds (unless there is something more wrong than you can see.)  Once you start an assist like this though, make sure you keep that membrane moist and keep an eye on it because once there's that much exposed membrane it can dry no matter how well your humidity is holding up in  the bator.  Good luck and I hope to hear some good news soon!

You're doing great. Just keep doing what you are doing until you can get enough shell loosened so he can get his foot moved and he might even be able to get it in a position he can push himself. If not, you can finish it for him and help him out. A tiny bit of blood is to be expeted. I've never done an assist with absolutely no spots of blood here or there. It's the thicker, more prominent veining that will cause the big problems and the bleed outs.  If you have bacitracin, you can rub a little of that on the membrane to keep it moistened. I, personally have never used it, but many others have.  If when you are finally able to free him from the shell you might find small remanents of the "cord" still attatched. If it seperates itself, no problem, if there's a bit of bleeding just hold a wet q-tip to the "navel" till it stops, but if the cord is firmly attached still don't pull it. IF you must tie it off and cut it, but don't pull it away from the navel. Also if you see any unabsorbed yolk-stop and put the egg back in and waitt for the yolk to absorb before going further. It's much harder to keep the chick from rupturing the yolk once it's out of the shell. If it happens and the chick gets out w/yolk still unabsorbed place it in a small container with a damp paper towel in the bottom and if you can place it back in the bator and give it time to absorb.  I think I touched on all the scenerios I can think of....
Amy Lynn your last two posts are so awesome and information filled. I want to like them so bad but I used all my likes up. You are teaching us so much. If I had this information. This morning g I Amy have saved my unsuccessful pip. You ate blessing us with your knowledge. Bless you!

I got him out! 3 out, 3 to go! Thank you, thank you, thank you!!! Could NOT have done this without you guys' help and support! I'll post pics tomorrow first thing!

Back
Top Bottom