First time hatching Buttons.....

Do you feed yours game bird crumbles? I put some in a bag and used a roller pin to mash it to dust almost so they can eat it. Would it harm them to eat chick starter?

Quote:
Nothing else happening on the rest thus far...Im going to just leave them there and see what happens. The MF cochin chick keeps going in with the buttons. They are running to her like "Mom, Mom" lol

I am using Manna Pro game bird Starter until the Purina GB Starter comes in Tuesday. But all my birds are on Lone Star - a Texas brand, and they forgot to order for me when I set the eggs. Lonestar only delivers every 3 weeks here anymore, so. Who knows maybe I'll stick with the Purina after all.

Don't feed them chick starter. Most is medicated and game birds (any quail) can't have that. Actually it's only good for chicks as far as I can tell. Use the game food started that you have in little crumbles. Mashed hardcooked eggs is a favorite. Nutrionally and to any bird. I have also given frozen peas to ducks and wild duck (rescue that someone drops off) and they do fine with that. I wouldn't hesitate to cook up some frozen peas or split peas, mash them water them down and give it. Mashed eggs or peas for treats or if you don;t have the right food for them.

But the crumbles sound fine and what they should have.

Sounds like the chicks have imprinted on your cochin. Cute, hope that isn't a problem later. Who knows maybe she could take them for a walk, in an enclosed run. Should be cute.

I know i have over 20 baby's hatched in the bator, now. It's getting to hard to count them.

Back
Top Bottom