First time hatching duck eggs and need some help!

Discussion in 'Ducks' started by BookWorm243, Apr 11, 2012.

1. BookWorm243

BookWorm243 Chillin' With My Peeps

Oct 13, 2010
    Franklin, NC
    Hello!
    We recently adopted three ducks 1 Male Pekin, 1 Female Pekin, and 1 Female Mallard. We decided to collect there eggs to set in the incubator. We ended up setting 9 eggs on March 26th, 6 Pekin eggs and 3 Pekin/Mallard eggs!! We are now on day 17 and they are all doing great!!! But I have noticed something while candling them. The 3 Pekin/Mallard eggs are developing faster then the Peking eggs. When I candle the Pekin/Mallard eggs there isn't to much to see. The egg at this point is very dark. I can make out a dark mass where the chick is, the veins, and you can still see them move. When I candle the Pekin eggs it is very different. It is still pretty light, I can see the veins, and the chick moving around in there. There just seems to be a lot more room to grow. They are alive and developing but the Mallard/Peking eggs seem to be developing a lot faster them the Pekin eggs. I was told that Mallard and Peking eggs take 25-28 days to develop, it that right? Does that change when the eggs are a Mallard/Pekin mix?? I am just worried that the Mallard/Pekin eggs will hatch before the Pekin eggs do. Any help would be great!

Thank You!!!

Last edited: Apr 11, 2012
  2. DuckLover3

DuckLover3 Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 16, 2012
    Marlborough, CT
    I'm not sure what to tell you, other than wait it out and see what happens....Sorry that I'm not more help!

3. BookWorm243

BookWorm243 Chillin' With My Peeps

Oct 13, 2010
    Franklin, NC
    Thank You!! I figured that's what I would have to do :) Just thought I would ask to make sure!!!

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by