First time hatching duck eggs

Quote:
Aww I hope it made it. you can spray watered down iodine or betadine on the navel to keep from getting infected.
fl.gif

Well, when we went to bed last night we put him in with the rest of the babies, wrapped in a towel under the light.. My husband was very worried that they would smother him..
smile.png
I got up to check on him at 3 this morning and he had gotten out of the towel and was in the middle of the bigger babies.. I got up this morning and he is doing great! His belly button has gone back in and he has dried off.. Who knew that a hoody pocket would be a good incubator...
smile.png
That is now my husbands baby... Mommma hen is doing good and not broody anymore.. I will get pics of all 13 later! Thank you all for getting us through our first hatch.. Now today we will be working on somthing to keep them in...

Thank you all.. Here are 3 new pics. You can see the size difference of the first born and last born.. The small one in the pic is the last one born.. I have also put pics of there new house for now until they can all go outside.. We put newspaper down cause we werent sure about the wire bottom on there feet.. Not very good pics as they were exploring there new house..

108923_new_ducks_002.jpg

108923_new_ducks_009.jpg

108923_new_ducks_006.jpg

Quote:
Nice house, and adorable ducklings, they are so precious and it's amazing the difference in size. I have one suggestions, newspaper is not good for ducklings it is slick and can cause spraddle leg. so If you have paper towels that would be better. you can lay them down on top of the news paper. also the shelf stuff that has the tiny holes in it and is non slick works good too. I know you are relieved its all over and you have these precious ducklings. I hope you can find good homes for them, they will give you and dh hours of enjoyment and fun.
thumbsup.gif

Definitely get rid of the newspaper ASAP. In addition to Miss Lydia's suggestions, old towels work well. If you use the non-slip matting give it a wash and let it dry first to get off any chemically residue - its good stuff too. I use old towels under the hear lamp and non slip matting under the food and water.

They are gorgeous!!

Back
Top Bottom