First time hatching duck eggs

Yes she has!!!! She has been awesome.... She is getting extra treats!! Also when I went to bed I had 2 that I knew would be hatched when I got up and sure enough they were... But... 1 was out of the nest dead... and the other under Momma and doing great.. Its so cold out that I brought him in with his siblings.. Momma wasnt happy about me messing with her, she thought I was taking her eggs..lol She kept pulling at them... Now 4 more to go and we are done for the winter and will start up again in the spring..

Quote:
Sorry to hear you lost 1 but hey she has done great and so have you. What are you going to do with them all? Are you planning on letting her keep any? After all she has worked for them. She can keep them warm, she is wearing down.
smile.png

I have them inside in a box and was wondering if it was ok to put straw down in there... I now have a towel down and have to change it 3 times a day and it gets sooo wet... I was thinking straw would be ok but wasnt sure..

Quote:
They should be sure-footed enough to handle straw at this point. I try to give them something lower-profile when they're tiny and still learning to walk but eventually upgrade it to straw once they're zipping around in the brooder.

Wow this was a great thread.... Im excited just found out i have a male & Female and she is laying
smile.png
17eggs in the nest!! i hope i get to go on the same mission!!

Great Job Tammy!
thumbsup.gif

Ok.. Its been a few days and I now have 12, yes 12 baby duckies and #13 is hatching as I type this.. Poor Momma hen done such a wonderful job... I bet she will be happy when this last egg is hatched.. I will get an updated pic of all 13.. Man the size different in just a week is amazing and the new ones look so small next to the older ones..

Back
Top Bottom