First time hatching eggs

wsmoak

Songster
Apr 21, 2010
a little north of Columbus, GA
Once upon a time I bought all the stuff to make a cabinet incubator... and never got around to it. So when a neighbor posted a Genesis 1588 for sale, I figured it was a sign. :)

I collected 7 eggs yesterday and they're sitting in a cooler at 55F and 61% humidity. It's pouring rain today; we'll see what the girls are going to give me.

I'm planning to set them on Wednesday or Thursday.

-Wendy

Good luck with your incubation and hatch!:)
I too collected eggs from my chickens over 6 days( kept them in a dry area about 10 degrees Celsius). After 6 days I hurriedly put my 10 eggs into the clean, used incubator and turned it on( my first mistake;-)). Then after 2 days of high temps(103ish). I got it down to the recommended incubator temp. Humidity was around 40-50% up until the lady 3 days and I turned them by hand twice a day( perhaps my second mistake?)
Day 19 I uped the humidity to around 60/70% , candled them(7 out of 10 were viable). And waited... And waited;-)
Finally on day 23 I had my first 3 healthy chickies! It is now day 25 and I have had 3 more chicks.. However these three are all spraddle legged
Are these three chicks weaker because they took so long, my 4 year old opening the incubator or are they just genetically weaker(10 eggs from 2 hens and one rooster)
Thanks for any input! And hopefully you can learn from my mistakes!;-)

Back
Top Bottom