First time hatching eggs!

crystalbanks84

In the Brooder
5 Years
Feb 25, 2014
we have a broody hen and we gave her 9 eggs. We've put her in a brooder box in the garage so the other chickens will leave her alone. For some eggs it's been 23 days and for others it's been 21. Still no sign of hatching. How long do you wait before giving up? And my broody has only eaten once in several days. No sign of her having had water or gone poop. But I got her to eat a little yesterday. Is that normal?

I've floated them in warm water to see if I can see any movement and there hasn't been any movement. I'm wondering how much longer to wait
1f615.png

We are "first-timers," doing this as a homeschooling project. We had 30 eggs originally, 2 were so dirty and cracked, I took them out of the bator. Two more looked "nothing" after candling on day 15. So we were down to 26. Early afternoon yesterday, first egg pips and as of right now, we have 8 hatched, dried & fluffed and in the brooder. Four more this afternoon, but one looks lethargic, small and has a large clot ( size of dime) attached. The others are stepping all over it and it looks as though it is struggling to breathe. Should I worry? Thanks in advance for advice.

We are "first-timers," doing this as a homeschooling project. We had 30 eggs originally, 2 were so dirty and cracked, I took them out of the bator. Two more looked "nothing" after candling on day 15. So we were down to 26. Early afternoon yesterday, first egg pips and as of right now, we have 8 hatched, dried & fluffed and in the brooder. Four more this afternoon, but one looks lethargic, small and has a large clot ( size of dime) attached. The others are stepping all over it and it looks as though it is struggling to breathe. Should I worry? Thanks in advance for advice.

That is so cool! This is a homeschool project for our kids as well! None of ours ended up hatching. I am not sure exactly what happened. We will try again soon when we have another broody.
I know some chicks just don't make it. Nothing that can be done to prevent it, it's just part of life. Congrats on all the chickies!

Back
Top Bottom