First Time Hatching - incubator edition

Wow, your first incubator hatch — you’re doing great! That’s a lot of healthy development. Your feathered fellows only “missing” once is impressive. Small changes in humidity are normal; even with a broody hen, she’s going to get up for a break or shuffle eggs around and make changes.

It's hard to tell in the picture but it looks like the air cell is still towards the rounded end of the egg correct? Most of the time the air cell will right itself as the chick develops when it's mild like this appears to be. I have had a couple that were on the side of the egg, no where near the rounded end of the egg and I did have issues with those but otherwise no problems from slightly saddled or off center air cells.
Here’s a better picture of #8. It’s close to the rounded end, yes. I was hoping it’ll eventually correct itself but I wasn’t sure if it would

Attachments

• 50562B4A-A0BB-4C0D-A8CC-C2A27AA849D6.jpeg
    50562B4A-A0BB-4C0D-A8CC-C2A27AA849D6.jpeg
    300.5 KB · Views: 3
  • 9065597B-5237-43C1-83F6-1C04ED6941F4.jpeg
    9065597B-5237-43C1-83F6-1C04ED6941F4.jpeg
    281.9 KB · Views: 3
Wow, your first incubator hatch — you’re doing great! That’s a lot of healthy development. Your feathered fellows only “missing” once is impressive. Small changes in humidity are normal; even with a broody hen, she’s going to get up for a break or shuffle eggs around and make changes.
Yeah, this is technically my second hatch altogether but the first was with a surprise first time broody in November; she hatched 3 chicks. I would’ve liked to use her again for this, but she’s taking care of the chicks and an incubator is better for wintertime anyways since it’s all inside.

I have 6 roosters, so I didn’t think they’d miss anyone. Guess they were slacking a bit haha

This is day 5 and all of them were fertile except for #19. I’ll give it a few more days and then candle it again to see if I missed something as it’s an egg with a dark shell. I doubt I’m wrong about it, but oh well. I’m a little worried about #8 because it’s air cell is more on the side than the bottom. Anyways, do I need to adjust humidity or anything based on the air cell growth? Does everything look to be growing good? Any concerns you can see?

I'm jealous that your eggs are so easy to see....ha ha. Mine were super dark and impossible to see through. What breed of chickens are you incubating? I'm going to try to use my handheld candler this evening (Day 10) to see if it works better on my eggs than the NR 360 candler.

I'm jealous that your eggs are so easy to see....ha ha. Mine were super dark and impossible to see through. What breed of chickens are you incubating? I'm going to try to use my handheld candler this evening (Day 10) to see if it works better on my eggs than the NR 360 candler.

I like using my handheld flashlight personally. I sometimes forget that the candler is even there on my NR360. lol
It isn't a bad candler but the white plastic does allow a lot of light through which can make it harder to photograph.

The leghorns’ eggs are definitely the easiest to see but the ISA browns are the hard ones. They’re dark brown and they vary from each other; some are easier to see into than others. The chicks are all going to be mutts, basically. I have leghorn, BSL and ISA brown eggs incubating. As for roosters, I have a BSL ( BR/RIR ), some kind of cuckoo maran cross, a BR, two black australorps, and a black ameraucana. I doubt my ameraucana fertilized any eggs because the girls chase him and actually square up to him.

I have a hand candler but it’s not very bright at all. The NR360 light is way brighter

Back
Top Bottom