First Time Hatching - incubator edition

Pics
So sorry about your cow :hugs. How are the chicks? Have those last 2 pipped yet?
Chicks are fine, they’ve been dozing here and there. Some are starting to walk around more but the ones that hatched not long ago are still wanting to rest more than anything. As for the two that still needed to pip, I haven’t seen any external pip yet. Maybe they just need a little more time?

Chicks are fine, they’ve been dozing here and there. Some are starting to walk around more but the ones that hatched not long ago are still wanting to rest more than anything. As for the two that still needed to pip, I haven’t seen any external pip yet. Maybe they just need a little more time?
Sometimes you just lose some...you don't really know why unless you do egg-topsy on day 25 and can figure it out....sometimes its for the best. 100% hatch rates aren't common!

baby #7 is here!

Attachments

• 8E499622-32AC-4A95-8009-69B5F596176B.jpeg
    8E499622-32AC-4A95-8009-69B5F596176B.jpeg
    351.4 KB · Views: 2
  • 98226D22-1D1A-4B0D-AC89-1AE128C326C6.jpeg
    98226D22-1D1A-4B0D-AC89-1AE128C326C6.jpeg
    305.6 KB · Views: 2
Some are starting to walk around more but the ones that hatched not long ago are still wanting to rest more than anything.
Are you taking them out of the bator before they dry?
Maybe you've had chicks before, but I will remind you to dip their beak in the waterer a couple times a day until you see them drinking on their own.

Are you taking them out of the bator before they dry?
Maybe you've had chicks before, but I will remind you to dip their beak in the waterer a couple times a day until you see them drinking on their own.
They’ve been dry for the most part. I keep them in there for a few hours or more before taking them out.

Yeah, I’ve been dipping their beaks. They haven’t figured it out yet

13 chicks have hatched. The only eggs that remain are the two that haven’t pipped yet....
Nicely done!
I have 36 in the incubator now. Its my first hatch since I was a kid, and my dad did most of that back then, well all of it really. that was 50 years ago. My grandkids are loving this process.

Pretty Darn good hatch rate!
I don’t know, there was the 6 that died around day 8. That makes it a 59.1% hatch rate out of the total eggs I started with ( 61.9% if you take out the one that wasn’t fertile to begin with ). Do you think my water had something to do with it? It was causing calcium deposits to form on the fill pots on the incubator and it stained the inside of pot A a brownish color. I should’ve used distilled ( I am for the next batch after this one )

Back
Top Bottom